cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 55,424

Question

If you want to purchase docks for the X220 and X220t, here are some options that you could consider.

Answer

Option 1. - Ultrabase Series 3 ( it is the new type of ultrabase for the new X220 and X220t laptops.)

Here are the ports and features of this new ultrabase.

• Ultrabay Slim device bay for optical drive or second hard drive – For a list of compatible options, see www.lenovo.com/support/docks
  • Digital and analog video support – VGA monitor port and Display Port – For more information on supported monitor configurations, seewww.lenovo.com/support/docks
  • Audio capability – Pass through speakers, microphone in, headphone out
  • Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45)
  • Four USB 2.0 ports
  • System power on button and easy ejection lever
  • Integrated key lock and optional cable lock slot for security
More information can be obtained from: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-76765.html
Please note: This is the only version of the dock that is designed to be portable for the X220 and X220t, and the only one has an internal optical drive bay. However, it is only compatible for use with X220 and X220t. Other docking option can be used with other thinkpads model, please see the compatibility list for the exact model.
=
=
=
Option 2 - Thinkpad Port Replicator Series 3.
ThinkPad Port Replicator Series 3
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72865.html <--- more information on the Port replicator 3
  • Left corner alignment for easy system attachment
  • Convenient eject button for one-step system removal
  • 4 USB 2.0 ports
  • VGA analog monitor port
  • RJ-45 Ethernet port
  • Cable lock slot physically secures the ThinkPad notebook and ThinkPad Port Replicator Series 3.
    • When a cable lock is inserted into the lock slot on the back of the ThinkPad Port Replicator Series 3, the cable lock secures both:
      • ThinkPad Port Replicator Series 3 to the workspace (desk, wall, pole)
      • ThinkPad to the ThinkPad Port Replicator Series 3, via an internal locking mechanism
Compatbility list for the Port Replicator Series 3:

Description

Machine - Models

ThinkPad L412, L420, L421, L512, L520

All

ThinkPad T400s, T410, T410s, T420, T420s, T510

All

ThinkPad T520

Dual Core models only

ThinkPad X220 

All

=
=
=
Option 3: Mini Dock Series 3
ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-72871.html <-- For more information on the Dock Series 3
The main port options on the Mini Dock Series 3 are:
  • Six USB 2.0 ports
  • Three video ports:
    • Any two, of the three, video ports can be used simultaneously:
    • VGA analog monitor supporting 1920 x 1200 resolution
    • One Single-Link DVI-D digital monitor supporting 1920 x 1200 resolution
      • Single-Link DVI-D port does not support attachment of a DVI-to-VGA monitor adapter.
    • One DisplayPort monitor supporting 2560 x 1600 resoltion
      • Supports attachment (compatibility varies by ThinkPad system) of DisplayPort monitor cables; Using DisplayPort monitor cables reduces resolution to 1920 x 1200
  • Audio ports*: Analog microphone in, headphone out
  • RJ-45 Ethernet port

Description

Machine - Models

ThinkPad L412*, L512*, L420, L520

All

ThinkPad T400s, T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T420, T420s, T510, T510i

All

ThinkPad T520

Dual Core Models only

ThinkPad X220

All

Lenovo Easy Reach Monitor Stand (55Y9258)

All

Option 4: Mini Dock Series 3 plus (including Workstation 135 w and 170 watt versions).
Mini Dock Plus Series 3
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-72873 <-- more information on the Mini Dock Plus Series 3.
Here are some of the ports and features on this version of the dock.
  • Six USB 2.0 ports
  • Five video ports: 
    • VGA analog monitor supporting 1920 x 1200 resolution
    • Two Single-Link DVI-D digital monitor supporting 1920 x 1200 resolution
      • Single-Link DVI-D port does not support attachment of a DVI-to-VGA monitor adapter.
    • Two DisplayPort monitor supporting 2560 x 1600 resolution
      • Supports attachment (compatibility varies by ThinkPad system) of DisplayPort monitor cables; Using DisplayPort monitor cables reduces resolution to 1920 x 1200
  • Audio ports*: Analog microphone in, headphone out
  • e-SATA* storage connector
  • RJ-45 Ethernet port
  • Integrated key lock and cable lock slot physically secures the ThinkPad system and ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3

Hardware compatibility (for the version equipped with 90 watt adapter)

Description

Machine - Models

ThinkPad L412*, L512*, L420, L520

All

ThinkPad T400s, T410, T410i, T410s, T410si, T420, T420s, T510, T510i

All

ThinkPad T520

Dual Core Models only

ThinkPad X220

All

ThinkPad Easy Reach Monitor Stand

All

You can also run the X220 on the 135 watt and 170 watt version of the Mini Dock Plus Series 3.
----------------
If you have other Thinkpads model laptops that you want to run on these docks (other than ultrabase series 3 which only supports X220 and X220t). Then check out this more detailed list.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
timgavan

thanks for this. your hyperlink in option 1 above (  www.lenovo.com/support/docks) does not work. Also It seems I cannot purchase this ultrabase in Australia and, if I want to play DVDs I need to purchase the external DVDplayer/writer - is this correct? 

OneWill

Hello Dear,

I am William from Uganda in East Africa

I have a Lenovo ThindPad X131e Laptop

Recently My Laptop's hinge joint went off; So as i was glueing the hinge back on with my Little knowledge in Hardware Repair from my IT course.

I Openned the Laptop to fix the problem but forgot to shutdown the pc first.

i disconnected the Speakers when  the laptop was playing sound

after fixing the problem, i fixed back the speckers and it cound not play sound anymore[Red Cross Speaker icon dowm right of the Screen]

i have installed the latest sound drivers, all in vain. the Red Cross

But the produces system sound(Hooting) when atleast three keys are pressed

Any kinda assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Contributors