cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,542
Message 1 of 23

Does ThinkPad X1 Carbon support HDR mode on external HDR capable external monitor?

I have a question about the ThinkPad X1 Carbon(2018)'s ability to display HDR content on external monitor.

Does ThinkPad X1 Carbon(2018) support Windows 10 HDR mode on external HDR capable external monitor like Dell UP2718Q or BenQ SW320?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,317
Message 2 of 23

Re: Does ThinkPad X1 Carbon support HDR mode on external HDR capable external monitor?

Hello,
External monitors can be supported via display port (USB-C) with Redstone 4 update.
Regards
Mike
ansible212
Punch Card
Views: 1,289
Message 3 of 23

Re: Does ThinkPad X1 Carbon support HDR mode on external HDR capable external monitor?

Does this apply to the previous generation X1 Carbon (i.e. external HDR monitor via USB-C)?

Roman79
Punch Card
Views: 1,022
Message 4 of 23

Old Models can do HDR too. HDR was even supportet before Redstone 4 Update. Did always work. Redstone 4 just bringst the possibility to use HDR on non HDR Display (Fake one). Thats why you can HDR on internal Display on X1 Yoga 2nd too. 

ediren
Paper Tape
Views: 799
Message 5 of 23

Hello,

USB-C is supporting which kind of DP1.4 or HDMI2.0a/b specification?

i am currently struggeing how to connect an external 4k/60Hz HDR display to the x1 carbon 6th gen.

according to Thunderbolt 3.0 specs it is just DP1.2 compliant --> no HDR

so how would i ever get some 4k/60Hz HDR10 signal to that external display?

please explain.

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 708
Message 6 of 23

@ediren wrote:

Hello,

USB-C is supporting which kind of DP1.4 or HDMI2.0a/b specification?

i am currently struggeing how to connect an external 4k/60Hz HDR display to the x1 carbon 6th gen.

according to Thunderbolt 3.0 specs it is just DP1.2 compliant --> no HDR

so how would i ever get some 4k/60Hz HDR10 signal to that external display?

please explain.

you can get TB 3 to DP 1.4 devices that will do 4K @ 60 Hz HDR. Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XFG1YKT/ref=s9u_qpp_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B06XFG1YK...

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
ediren
Paper Tape
Views: 688
Message 7 of 23

thanks BrianSu,

the issue is, that the LCD (a consumer flat TV which support 4k/UHD@60Hz and HDR) just has HDMI 2.0b input.

so is there also some Thunderbolt to HDMI2.0b adapter and somehow the technical specs of thunderbolt 3 interface states, that just DP1.2 is supported.

according to wikipedia there was a refresh of TB3 in January 2018.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/new-intel%C2%AE-thunderbolt%E2%84%A2-3-controllers-offer-disp...

is this latest thunderbolt controller built in into the x1 carbon 6thgen?

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 679
Message 8 of 23

@ediren wrote:

thanks BrianSu,

the issue is, that the LCD (a consumer flat TV which support 4k/UHD@60Hz and HDR) just has HDMI 2.0b input.

so is there also some Thunderbolt to HDMI2.0b adapter and somehow the technical specs of thunderbolt 3 interface states, that just DP1.2 is supported.

according to wikipedia there was a refresh of TB3 in January 2018.

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/new-intel%C2%AE-thunderbolt%E2%84%A2-3-controllers-offer-disp...

is this latest thunderbolt controller built in into the x1 carbon 6thgen?

Ahh I wasn't aware of this update to TB 3. I am keen to purchase one of these to try. I'll order one from Amazon which should arrive tonight. I can let you know the outcome later (if they actually deliver it). I find that Amazon's same-day night delivery drivers in my area are a bit unethical. They just mark them as 'no one at home' or 'unable to gain access' without even trying. Hopefully this will actually show up.

This is the one that I will order to try:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Adapter-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B00X4S5E8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q...

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen), ASUS PG27UQ Quantum Dot UHD 4K HDR 144 Hz Monitor
ediren
Paper Tape
Views: 674
Message 9 of 23

but i see an issue here. if the thunderbolt3 controller built in into the x1 carbon 6th gen is just a JHL6xxx series, which is speficified to support DP1.2 only. and DP1.2 is not HDR compliant. 4k@60Hz yes, but no HDR compliance if i understood correctly.

if thunderbolt3 JHL6xxxx controller is the one built in into 6th gen at all. who could answer this question?

BrianSu
HDMI
Views: 670
Message 10 of 23

I'm trying the TB 3 - HDMI for now, not DP.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors