cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bs0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,779
Message 1 of 8

Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support USB-C Charging? If so, what chargers are compatible?

Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support any sort of charging over USB-C, be it trickle/regular/fast(er) charging?

To clarify, does it support receiving a charge via USB-C in the case that the (slick) 135W charger is not in my bag?

A) If it does support charging, where can I find:

• specifications
  • detailed instructions
  • description of expected behaviors (e.g. one port is "better" than the other, or "never plug in the Lenovo charger while charging via USB-C", or "to charge via USB-C the X1 Extreme must be sleeping")

B) Will any/all of these work in a pinch, or better than a pinch?

C) Bonus question: What are the specifications on providing a charge to other devices via USB-C?

Thanks!

Cybersurfr
What's DOS?
Views: 5,644
Message 2 of 8

Re: Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support USB-C Charging? If so, what chargers are compatible?

I do not have a full detailed answer , but I can say I tried with the two left ports And with an Apple 87W charger it did charge .Windows did give a warning saying “warning slow USB charger detected “ which is to be expected since its not full wattage . However it have a respectable charge time estimate .

i wouldn’t mind this for sitting around the office , but at home I’ll probably use the 135W 

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,577
Message 3 of 8

Re: Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support USB-C Charging? If so, what chargers are compatible?

This thread has good information: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/

It seems X1 Extreme's charging requirements are similary to my P51, even though P51 does not support charging through USB-C port. You need 20V, and minimum 45W (thus 20V, 2.25A) output from USB-PD. So a lot of those Anker chargers won't work, as in many cases the USB-PD port only outputs 30W (20V, 1.5A). Note that they sometimes advertises the total output of 60W across all ports, but the USB-PD port only has 30W. 

There are many USB-C chargers from Dell or Lenovo for example which outputs 45W, 60W, and 90W, and also some power banks has 45W USB-PD output. I have Lenovo's usb c power bank which works well with my P51. 

kriegalex
What's DOS?
Views: 1,078
Message 4 of 8

This thread is old, so sorry for the necro but I didn't want anyone finding this buying a USB-C PD 45W just to find out it doesn't work with a X1 Extreme. As you can see on this page, the compatible accessories list only shows a regular AC adapter, but not the 14000 mAh from Lenovo and it is not a mistake.

And just to clear out any doubts, I tested it with 45W enabled power banks from Xiaomi and dodocool and the laptop doesn't charge with them (dodo is 20V/2.25A and Xiaomi is 20V/2A or 15V/3A).

anotheral
What's DOS?
Views: 775
Message 5 of 8

I am happily using an Apple 87W charger with my X1 Extreme.  Despite the "slow charger" warning, charge time is pretty comperable with the stock charger.  I don't get that warning using the 45W ThinkPad charger from my T470, even though it's obviously a lot slower than either the X1 or Apple charger.  You can turn off notifications for the warning, which I did.

anotheral
What's DOS?
Views: 774
Message 6 of 8

I'll be getting a 85W charging USB-C dock fairly soon - will report the results here.

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 748
Message 7 of 8

@kriegalex wrote:

And just to clear out any doubts, I tested it with 45W enabled power banks from Xiaomi and dodocool and the laptop doesn't charge with them (dodo is 20V/2.25A and Xiaomi is 20V/2A or 15V/3A).

Did you try charging X1 Extreme while it is asleep/turned off? It seems 20V/2.25A should work from this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/). Of course it is a different model, but I had a similar thing with P51 -- 45w charger can only charges it when it is sleeping/turned off.

kriegalex
What's DOS?
Views: 720
Message 8 of 8

@joonro wrote:

@kriegalex wrote:

Did you try charging X1 Extreme while it is asleep/turned off? It seems 20V/2.25A should work from this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/). Of course it is a different model, but I had a similar thing with P51 -- 45w charger can only charges it when it is sleeping/turned off.

Yes I tried and after a long time I didn't see any changes. I'll retry when the battery is almost empty to see if it makes a difference.

Please note that plugging the same 2 power banks to a XPS 15 immediately showed the battery as charging even while running (no need to try in sleep mode). With the Lenovo, the battery symbol didn't change.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors