cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bs0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,340
Message 1 of 9

Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support USB-C Charging? If so, what chargers are compatible?

Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support any sort of charging over USB-C, be it trickle/regular/fast(er) charging?

To clarify, does it support receiving a charge via USB-C in the case that the (slick) 135W charger is not in my bag?

A) If it does support charging, where can I find:

• specifications
  • detailed instructions
  • description of expected behaviors (e.g. one port is "better" than the other, or "never plug in the Lenovo charger while charging via USB-C", or "to charge via USB-C the X1 Extreme must be sleeping")

B) Will any/all of these work in a pinch, or better than a pinch?

C) Bonus question: What are the specifications on providing a charge to other devices via USB-C?

Thanks!

Cybersurfr
What's DOS?
Views: 11,198
Message 2 of 9

Re: Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support USB-C Charging? If so, what chargers are compatible?

I do not have a full detailed answer , but I can say I tried with the two left ports And with an Apple 87W charger it did charge .Windows did give a warning saying “warning slow USB charger detected “ which is to be expected since its not full wattage . However it have a respectable charge time estimate .

i wouldn’t mind this for sitting around the office , but at home I’ll probably use the 135W 

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,131
Message 3 of 9

Re: Does the ThinkPad X1 Extreme support USB-C Charging? If so, what chargers are compatible?

This thread has good information: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/

It seems X1 Extreme's charging requirements are similary to my P51, even though P51 does not support charging through USB-C port. You need 20V, and minimum 45W (thus 20V, 2.25A) output from USB-PD. So a lot of those Anker chargers won't work, as in many cases the USB-PD port only outputs 30W (20V, 1.5A). Note that they sometimes advertises the total output of 60W across all ports, but the USB-PD port only has 30W. 

There are many USB-C chargers from Dell or Lenovo for example which outputs 45W, 60W, and 90W, and also some power banks has 45W USB-PD output. I have Lenovo's usb c power bank which works well with my P51. 

kriegalex
What's DOS?
Views: 6,632
Message 4 of 9

This thread is old, so sorry for the necro but I didn't want anyone finding this buying a USB-C PD 45W just to find out it doesn't work with a X1 Extreme. As you can see on this page, the compatible accessories list only shows a regular AC adapter, but not the 14000 mAh from Lenovo and it is not a mistake.

And just to clear out any doubts, I tested it with 45W enabled power banks from Xiaomi and dodocool and the laptop doesn't charge with them (dodo is 20V/2.25A and Xiaomi is 20V/2A or 15V/3A).

anotheral
What's DOS?
Views: 6,329
Message 5 of 9

I am happily using an Apple 87W charger with my X1 Extreme.  Despite the "slow charger" warning, charge time is pretty comperable with the stock charger.  I don't get that warning using the 45W ThinkPad charger from my T470, even though it's obviously a lot slower than either the X1 or Apple charger.  You can turn off notifications for the warning, which I did.

anotheral
What's DOS?
Views: 6,328
Message 6 of 9

I'll be getting a 85W charging USB-C dock fairly soon - will report the results here.

joonro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,302
Message 7 of 9

@kriegalex wrote:

And just to clear out any doubts, I tested it with 45W enabled power banks from Xiaomi and dodocool and the laptop doesn't charge with them (dodo is 20V/2.25A and Xiaomi is 20V/2A or 15V/3A).

Did you try charging X1 Extreme while it is asleep/turned off? It seems 20V/2.25A should work from this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/). Of course it is a different model, but I had a similar thing with P51 -- 45w charger can only charges it when it is sleeping/turned off.

kriegalex
What's DOS?
Views: 6,274
Message 8 of 9

@joonro wrote:

@kriegalex wrote:

Did you try charging X1 Extreme while it is asleep/turned off? It seems 20V/2.25A should work from this thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9tdtrb/x1e_really_does_support_that/). Of course it is a different model, but I had a similar thing with P51 -- 45w charger can only charges it when it is sleeping/turned off.

Yes I tried and after a long time I didn't see any changes. I'll retry when the battery is almost empty to see if it makes a difference.

Please note that plugging the same 2 power banks to a XPS 15 immediately showed the battery as charging even while running (no need to try in sleep mode). With the Lenovo, the battery symbol didn't change.

chx
Token Ring
Views: 3,121
Message 9 of 9

It charges from USB C , and USB C tops out at 100W and you really don't want to go lower, the X1E/P1 is really power hungry. Up until now 100W USB C chargers were hard to get but this is changing, there's a 100W USB C + 12W USB A model available from two shops, one in Germany, one in the USA:

https://alsterplus.de/112w-usb-c-pd-charger.html

https://jgotech.com/products/112w-usb-c-pd-power-adapter-interchangeable-us-uk-eu-au-plugs

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors