cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
197win
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,776
Message 1 of 4

Does your X1 Carbon 6th Gen Sim/MicroSD card tray pull out without using a paperclip?

Hey guys,

I've noticed that the sim tray can be pulled out with some pressure pulling outwards with my fingernails in the red part of the picture.

It also ejects normally as is should when I use a paperclip.

The tray isn't loose or falling out by itself, but it does feel a little easy to pull out the tray with just my fingernails.

I was curious on whether it was something I needed to get fixed.

Thanks.

심트레이.jpg

RealAaronCisco
Paper Tape
Views: 4,421
Message 2 of 4

Re: Does your X1 Carbon 6th Gen Sim/MicroSD card tray pull out without using a paperclip?

Not only does my tray pull out without a paperclip ... it pops out of its own accord.

Initially, I was pleasantly surprised by this behavior ... because I didn't know that the X1 even had a MicroSD slot.  This behavior became less appealing the longer it persisted however.

Eventually, I learned something else interesting about the design of this MicroSD tray ... when the tray is in autoejected mode, and don't notice it, then when you open the laptop lid, it snaps the tray in half.  Neat feature!

Anyone know the SKU for a replacement tray?  (When I get the replacement, I'm gonna electrical-tape the thing shut.)

Cheers,

Aaron

RealAaronCisco
Paper Tape
Views: 4,389
Message 3 of 4

Re: Does your X1 Carbon 6th Gen Sim/MicroSD card tray pull out without using a paperclip?

Here's the SKU for the replacement tray:
FRU PN:01YR423. https://lenovo.encompass.com/item/11589536/Lenovo/01YR423/ US$15.99 but out of stock till Sept. 17!

(But thanks to Lenovo support, I'm back in business, with black electrical tape keeping things in line.)
gsmgsm
What's DOS?
Views: 180
Message 4 of 4

I had this problem with an X1 Carbon 6th Generation I bought a few months ago and recently received it back from service. They had to replace the system board and listed the cause as "customer damage". Uh, whatever. Take home message might be to be EXTREMELY careful when inserting a microSD card, but 1) I always inserted the tray and microSD card gently and 2) I have accidental damage coverage, so no reason if I had screwed things up I would need pretend that it wasn't a screw up on my part ... anyway, to additional details that confirm it was a problem with this particular (new) laptop ...

I already owned a 2018 model of X1 Carbon Gen 6 that has a microSD card installed. Works flawlessly, never had a problem. Tray stays closed and always requires a paperclip to release. Can't release with fingernail pressure alone. 

I decided to get another Gen 6 (because Gen 7 doesn't have a microSD slot) but this time decided I'd like WWAN capability. Otherwise almost identical to the 2018 version of the X1 Carbon Gen 6 I bought in 2018. Installed an idential microSD card in the new machine and with 2 weeks I noticed the tray would gradually tend to creep out.

If I removed the microSD card the tray would stay latched (required a paperclip to release) but with a microSD card in place it wouldn't quite close all the way and could be opened with a fingernail. When the tray was removed the microSD was always in the (toggled) released position. I could re-engage the microSD card (and the card even functioned when the tray was slightly loose) but I was worried about possible damage to card, losing the card, or breaking the tray (if you open the lid when the tray is partially out, as described in another reply in this thread.)

I tried every combination of trays (they even sent a replacement tray) and microSD cards between my 2018 machine and this new (July 2019) and the only consistent element is that the new machine wouldn't latch (and the microSD card because unengaged) and the old one worked as expected 100% of the time. 

I don't have the expertise of the Lenovo technicians, but my guess is that the motherboard was either misaligned (enough to prevent tray from latching when a microSD card is present) or there was some damage that as far as I can tell was present when I received it. 

On the plus side Lenovo service fixed the problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors