03-04-2019

GB

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 3

Dolby Vision and X1 Carbon

2019-03-04, 16:04 PM

Ok so today i got my spangly new X1 Yoga, kitted out to the max bar the Hdisk, and as far as i can see there is no HDR or Dolby Vision support. I do get the option to Play HDR video in WIndows but thats fake HDR

Has anybody managed to get this actually working yet, or have IBM sold us a dud, the reason i ask is everything in my house play Vision and Atmos, the easiest way to tell is dload the Netflix APP and fire up Altered carbon series if Netflix detects Vision you will see Vision listed at the title header, at present all i get is HD/ATMOS because the laptop does Atmos too.

Can Lenovo comment on when we should see Vision support or has anybody actually seen Vision Tags in Netflix

I get these fine on my OLED TVS and APPLE TVs etc I also get the vision tag on both my Ipad Pros...

FYI on my main PC i run a 32inch HDR samsung screen which is Fed by a Vega 64 and i get the SDR/HDR option in windows but i dont on this laptop, i just get the video option for HDR which i feel is a fudge

thanks all

Ted

Options

22 Posts

06-27-2018

US

48 Signins

316 Page Views

• Views: 316
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Dolby Vision and X1 Carbon

2019-03-05, 3:37 AM

Tobamory,

You can find multiple threads here discussing this issue, e.g. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-HDR-display-not-HDR-capable/td-p/4000701

Unfortunately, the "HDR" and "Dolby Vision" marketed as features for the 1440p screens available with the X1 (6th gen) and X1 Yoga (3rd gen) are relying on the pedantic assertion that a display can be considered HDR  (and even Dolby Vision) compliant as long as it is bright enough (even if it does NOT support a greater than 8-bit color depth).  In this case, the HDR refers to the contrast, not the color depth.

Lenovo continues to market the display as "14" HDR WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-reflective anti-smudge multi-touch with Dolby Vision, 500 nits." It's effective because a large number of people who care about such things would assume the display has at least 10-bit color depth (even though they never explicitly state this in any of the documentation).

That all said, it is still a nice display, but I'm disappointed that Lenovo's marketing is so ambiguous.

If any of the information in this post is incorrect, please post the correction and I will update this post.

Options

4 Posts

03-04-2019

GB

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Dolby Vision and X1 Carbon

2019-04-24, 18:07 PM

Ive fixed it

The screen is actually Dolby Vision capable the missing part of the puzzle is HEVC driver

Once installed Vision works in Netflix and everything

DXdiags also confirms this, before it said HDR not capable

Steps to complete are here

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/ad1uju/your_x1c_not_playing_hdr_youtube_videos_or_dolby/

Thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save