cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,291
Message 1 of 3

Drive Erase Utility for the Resetting the Cryptographic Key and the Erasing the Solid State Drive

I have an X1 Carbon, CT01WW.  In the bios I set a password for the SSD.  I have forgotten the password, but I can still access the laptop with a fingerprint scan.  I would like to reset the password.  

I had a moderator tell me the Drive Erase utitlity would not reset the password, I will just have to remember it.   But this install notes for the Drive Erase Utility state that a drive password is reset.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/83fd04ww.txt

Will this utility reset the drive password in the bios?

Thanks

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 2,274
Message 2 of 3

Re: Drive Erase Utility for the Resetting the Cryptographic Key and the Erasing the Solid State Driv

The utility will attempt to set a temporary password to execute the command. With a password already in place, it won't be able to continue. You'll need to know the current password and remove it to invoke the ATA Secure Erase command.

Having a password on your SSD protects it both from data loss via theft and inadvertent erasure. It's an industry-standard feature, for better or worse.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

jsguy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,265
Message 3 of 3

Re: Drive Erase Utility for the Resetting the Cryptographic Key and the Erasing the Solid State Driv

Thanks Eric, very helpful!   How about a Spock mind meld..... Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors