Options

1 Posts

12-04-2016

AU

2 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 2

Driver Power State Failure - Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th Signature Edition with Windows 10

2016-12-04, 7:10 AM

I recently had a problem with my new Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th Signature. The screen suddently turned blue and the message "Driver Power State Failure" came up. The computer then shut down but the green light on the power button and the red charging light remained on. All attempts to turn off the lights failed. The computer didn't boot and attempts to shut it down by pressing the power button also failed.

To solve the problem, I opened the computer, located a part labelled "RESETS" (see image attached) and pushed it gently with a paper clip. The lights went off. I switched on the compuer and for now, everything is fine. Hope this helps.

Options

3310 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4174 Signins

46072 Page Views

• Views: 46072
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Driver Power State Failure - Thinkpad X1 Carbon 4th Signature Edition with Windows 10

2016-12-04, 8:11 AM

I am glad you got it back up and running, but if it happens again, there should be a small hole on the bottom cover over that reset button that you can insert a paper clip to reset the system rather than removing the cover.

That type of error usually is caused by a device driver being told to go to a low power state, (sleep) then not responding when told to wake back up.    The fix is usually to update the drivers for the device, so you might consider updating the drivers on your Thinkpad to the latest versions using the Thinkvantage System Update tool, or individually if the message indicates which driver is the culprit.     I would skip the BIOS update myself unless all else fails to resolve the issue, as BIOS updates can be tricky at times, and if they go bad, they can sometimes leave your system unable to boot.

Cheers, 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save