Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romac
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,496
Message 1 of 2

Enabling Bitlocker on X1 Carbon 5th Gen with OPAL 2.0 Drive

Here is the current situation. I have an x1 Carbon 5th Gen with the Toshiba 512GB OPAL 2.0 Drive. When I enable bitlocker and run manage-bde -status c: it tells me Encryption Method is software not hardware.

I have run the Lenovo Disk Erase tool, and reset crypto keys, I have made sure it’s UEFI only and CSM is off. I have even blown away the Lenovo installed Win 10 Pro and gone vanilla win 10 and still no joy.

I finally bought WinMagic to see if that works and it did. Also when I have winmagic enabled the set disk1 password option in BIOS goes away which is the first sign that eDrive is enabled. However when I disable WinMagic, set disk1 password option reappears and well Bitlocker only wants to do software based encryption rather than offload.

The question to you is, should I be able to use bitlocker with Lenovo Toshiba OPAL 2.0 drive?

TripleX1
Token Ring
Views: 1,437
Message 2 of 2

Re: Enabling Bitlocker on X1 Carbon 5th Gen with OPAL 2.0 Drive

For BitLocker the SSD must also support eDrive/EEE1667 which I guess it does not. OPAL1/2 is insufficient.

We use both Samsung (850 Evo) and Crucial (MX200, M550) with BitLocker/hardware (M.2 SATA).

For M.2 NVMe so far I've not seen any success even with the latest Samsung (960 Evo & Pro) - nor the supplied OPAL2 Lenovo ones.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors