Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

04-10-2008

United States of America

44 Signins

499 Page Views

• Views: 499
  • Message 21 of 31

Re: Enabling SSD Encryption in BIOS for Samsung 840 Pro or SSDs

2013-07-21, 0:55 AM

wrote:

Hi - I am prompted for credentials - but in my case with a fingerprint reader - I just swipe my finger and that also doubles as my windows and FDE password.  I think in the fingerprint software you can select an option to have your fingerprint also authenticate your Windows password as well.  Hope all goes well but if you have a fingerprint reader the process is pretty painless.

Hi.  When you say you are prompted for credentials, is it Windows prompting you or the BIOS prompting you?

Options

125 Posts

01-26-2011

Fort Stewart, GA

520 Signins

3885 Page Views

• Views: 3885
  • Message 22 of 31

2013-07-21, 0:58 AM

Both but the fingerprint reader takes care of each.

Options

1 Posts

11-07-2013

Europe

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 23 of 31

2013-11-07, 15:48 PM

Hello!

Just wanted start out by saying that this thread has learned me alot about SSD encyption especially for the Samsung 840. I don't know how the moderators respond to bumping older threads, but I feel that my questions relate alot to the topic, so I don't see any need to make a new one.

There is, after hours of searching, literally no information about this topic from Samsung themselves which I find kind of strange. you'd think they would want to promote a feature like this?

So I have a few questions about setting up the password.

In my BIOS  in the security tab I have options like "Hard Disk1 Password" which i gather is the password which is connected to the SSD. Now in typing the password I have noticed that there are very limited options. First of all it seems tha I am to able to use special characters like ! or ". This does not make sense to me as using special characters makes the password much stronger. I am able to use big and small letters or so I think! this leads to my next question

I'm not able to actually see the password I typed. This might not be a big problem, but when combined with the latter problem I don't really have any way of knowing what my password actually is.

Is it maybe possible to set the password in another way without using the BIOS which seems to have very limited options!

Thanks in advance, your answers are greatly appreciated!

Options

44 Posts

03-26-2012

United States of America

36 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 24 of 31

2014-05-28, 19:04 PM

Does enabled encryption have a noticable performance degradation?

Options

125 Posts

01-26-2011

Fort Stewart, GA

520 Signins

3885 Page Views

• Message 25 of 31

2014-05-28, 23:21 PM

Not noticable.  At laest to me.  I am sure some expert will say that it does, but in the SSD speed tests - they were very fast before I encrypted and I noticed no change on the tests after encryption.  Actually with the last SSD firmware update - the SSD speed tests were noticably faster.  Would encrypt over any imperceptable speed loss any day.

Options

2 Posts

08-19-2014

Boston, MA

10 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 26 of 31

2014-08-19, 18:26 PM

But getting back to the original question, how do you know (other than plugging your drive into another computer) that it is encrypted?

Is it possible that I have my SSD encrypted without Bitlocker knowing about it?

I installed a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB mSATA SSD. TPM Active. Did the Secure Erase using Samsung Magician. Clean Windows 8.1 Pro install. Activated Bitlocker with Group Policy that it can't use Bitlocker software encryption and it instantly said it was protected by Bitlocker (after I made my pin). Magician said "Encrypted Drive = Enabled". Life was great!

Then I updated all of the system's drivers from the vendor website. Computer seems to work great, and I get a blue BitLocker screen asking for my pin whenever I cold reboot prior to it loading windows and asking for my windows password. However if I go to Bitlocker in the Control Panel, it says that my drive is not protected by Bitlocker. If I run manage-bde -status c: it says that there is no Bitlocker version, my conversion status is "Fully decrypted", Percent encrypted is 0, Encryption Method is None, Protection off, unlocked, No ID fields, No Key protectors. But Magician is still happy saying "Encrypted Drive = Enabled". In Windows Explorer, there is not lock icon on my drive.

Is my drive encrypted or not? Is it possible that the drive is no longer encrypted and the Pin is doing nothing other than satisfying the policy? Thanks for your help because I'm losing sleep over this...

Options

2 Posts

08-19-2014

Boston, MA

10 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 27 of 31

2014-08-20, 2:14 AM
I should add that I did plug the drive into another computer, and while Disk Manager recognized the presence of 3 partitions (Recovery, EFI, and Boot) and got the sizes right, it didn't recognize any data and it politely offered to format the drive. I hope you folks know a trick to document that my drive is encrypted with 2 factors (TPM and the Pin that I enter when I boot). Thanks!
Options

211 Posts

08-20-2014

United States of America

537 Signins

3462 Page Views

• Views: 3462
  • Message 28 of 31

2014-08-22, 10:56 AM

I'm curious to know if clearing the HDD password in the BIOS in the future would allow me to move the drive to another system, if needed. Or does setting the HDD password permantely lock the drive?

Thanks!

Options

125 Posts

01-26-2011

Fort Stewart, GA

520 Signins

3885 Page Views

• Message 29 of 31

2014-08-22, 12:20 PM

It has been a while since I have really dug into this.  However, from what I recall, you can encrypted your SSD 840 Pro just by activating it in the BIOS.  Once you have a password set up then th drive is encrypted and won't work in another machine until you go into the BIOS and basically remove the password and set it for an unencrypted state.

As I recall, Bitlocker was an additional step.  I took the extra step and went into Windows and separately let Bitlocker do its thing.

I think there was a Lenovo fact sheet or link (maybe in one of my earlier posts) that talks about if you ever want to move the SSD or HDD to another machine you have to unencrypt it.  From what I gather you have to unencrypt it while it is in your current machine.   Then the drive will allow itself to work in a different machine. 

I keep putting off buying a new laptop but when I do . . . I am keeping my Samsung 840 Pro and will then work through unencrypting my SSD so my current machine will let it go and then install it into a new laptop.

Cheers!

Options

211 Posts

08-20-2014

United States of America

537 Signins

3462 Page Views

• Views: 3462
  • Message 30 of 31

2014-08-22, 12:38 PM

Thanks, mate. My guess was that clearing the HDD password would "unlock" the drive and allow me to move it elsewhere - I guess a test will only tell :)

I'm trying to avoid Bitlocker, as I don't want software encryption being used on top of hardware encryption. If I had an TCG Opal compliant drive, then I could turn on Bitlocker and it would take advantage of the hardware decryption.

Unfortunately, the 840 Pro isn't compliant, but the 840 Evo is. I probably should have gotten the 850 Pro :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms