Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,282
Message 11 of 97

Re: X1 3th Gen Battery drain in sleep

For the record, last night using Device Manager I disable the PCI Express Root Switch Port that the sleep study showed as being active while in Modern Standby. That disables the Thunderbold port and a USB Controller connected to that switch port, but got the sleep to not waste battery usage.

This makes my Thunderbolt dock sort of useless, but let's me get a reasonable sleep behavior. I will try this out for sometime and see which of the two devils I can choose from makes the usage of this laptop less miserable.

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,227
Message 12 of 97

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

Yup, I am waiting on the BIOS update, if it is even in the works. How can we check?

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,221
Message 13 of 97

Looks like most X1 Yoga BIOS updates follow from the X1 Carbon updates, so it is probably a matter of time before it gets implemented on the Yoga.

psierak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,153
Message 14 of 97

I have changed windows settings for lid close, power button, etc to make windows hibernate rather than sleep.

It takes about 4 seconds for the laptop to boot up when I open the lid but at least I am getting proper battery life again.

Will do this until I see a fix/update for this crummy sleep issue.

jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,145
Message 15 of 97

I have given hibernation a try, but I was taking a 50-50 chance of something not working when coming out of hibernation. Sometimes it would be WiFi, sometimes it would be the monitors through the docking.

Please report back how robust that solution is for you, as I may want to try it again.

I have found it very disappointing that no one from Lenovo has commented out on this thread about what should we be expecting, and seems that there is no other way to get official support from Lenovo for non-HW issues.

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,142
Message 16 of 97

We are a smaller market compared to the X1C6 users, so we can expect less help from Lenovo (if we get any at all). I figure that's why X1Y3 users with the same problem post in the carbon's thread. The best we can do (short of everyone calling tech support over and over again, or knowing someone from the inside) is to keep the thread alive and report on all problems and solution. Lenovo can try as many different sleep modes as they want, but at least give us the option to choose what we need for out workflow. Tweaking out S3 in BIOS is essentially crippling the hardware, just as whitelisting does...

I am running Linux and battery life after sleep is just abysmal, so I'm patiently waiting for the BIOS update. Fingers crossed!

jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,126
Message 17 of 97

As a another data point, a colleague in my company has this same laptop (X1 Yoga 3rd gen) and his battery usage while the laptop is asleep is not nearly as bad as mine. Mines loses over 85% of the charge overnight, while his loses around 10%.

How have you tried to contact tech support? I tried that once, but the support person wanted to replace the battery of my laptop and claimed that will fix the issue. 

Highlighted
shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,114
Message 18 of 97

Well, when I use Linux or Hackintosh (yay triple boot), battery consumption is bad (~70% overnight). On windows, if I set it to hibernate instead of sleep, I get a much smaller battery drain (3% over night?) On sleep, I lose between 30-60% depending on whether wifi switches off.

I have not contacted tech support because they cannot possibly advice on the issue over the phone besides the standard question "Have you updated to the latest BIOS?". Lenovo's tech support doesn't have an email address where we can send our question and get a thoughtful reply. Also, the last thing I want is to send the laptop in for an unnecessary repair that could take weeks. The ideal scenario is if someone from the development team replies to the community's concern. I'm not looking for an AMA session, just an update of whether the sleep problem is being looked into.

Again, fingers crossed!

psierak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,110
Message 19 of 97

So far no issues with the hibernation. 

I actually doubt I'll even go back to using sleep even if they do fix it.

This is way better! Who needs sleep!

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,082
Message 20 of 97

@psierak wrote: 

This is way better! Who needs sleep!

Well, sleep: α) works faster, and β) keeps filesystem cache in RAM. This means, unless you have an SSD, using hibernation as much as one uses sleep (e.g. for me it could be frequent 10-15 minutes spans when I'm travelling) gonna be a pain in the ass.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors