Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,502
Message 1 of 86

Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

I have had this X1 Yoga 3rd Generation laptop since May. Sometime in July the battery will get drained at an excessive rate while the laptop is sleeping. I believe it started to happen after some software/driver/bios update around that time. Overnight it would go from 100% charged to 10% (and stops at 10% becaues hibernation kicks in).

See below some images for the SleepStudy that PowerCfg.exe reports.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

This seems to be the same or a very similar issue to the one reported here for the X1 Carbon that it is still unresolved:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Battery-drain-in-sleep/m-p/...

I have been installing any new updates posted on System Update hoping for this to magically get fixed by one of those updates, but so far it hasn't happened.

I'm starting to switch from a happy ThinkPad user that would recommend my laptop to colleagues and friends, to one that may start telling them to stay away from them.

Caterpt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,314
Message 2 of 86

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

Close your bluetooth mouse,disconnect from the network when your computer is using sleep mode.

This may  help.

JoTress
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,310
Message 3 of 86

X1 3th Gen Battery drain in sleep

My brandnew x1y3rd is affected by the exact same issues as the x1c6th in the parallel thread. There seem to be a solution with a new firmware/bios update. I'd like to know if there will be a similar update for the x1 yoga 3rd gen in the next few days?

Thanks indeed!

mitsuhide
Punch Card
Views: 2,290
Message 4 of 86

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

The X1C6 has been fixed by granting S3 sleep with BIOS 1.30.

We need this for X1Y3 as well!

Cavoke
Punch Card
Views: 2,292
Message 5 of 86

Re: X1 3th Gen Battery drain in sleep

I want to populate to this topic. I do have the same problem with X1Y3, ref 20LF000RFR bought 3 weeks ago. I have BIOS update N25ET35W 1.21. I shared with X1C community who has the same problem. Please Lenovo and Windows give a fix for X1Y3 too...

Thinkpad X1Y3 20LF Windows 10 pro update 1803 version 17134.523
JoTress
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,279
Message 6 of 86

I'd like to reiterate the complaints, I also have the same problems with my new x1y3 as in the parallel thread to x1c.

jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,215
Message 7 of 86

There was a BIOS update pushed last week. I installed it and the end behavior is the same (possibly a bit worse). My X1 Yoga laptop loses 88% of its battery over night and then goes to hibernate as battery is too low.

Is anyone seeing such bad drainage as mine? Can you guys post screenshots of what the Windows sleep report says about Modern Standby battery usage?  (run the command: powercfg /SleepStudy /output C:\sleep_report4.html  from an Administrator PowerShell: WindowsKey+X>>KeyA)

After the BIOS update, here is the report I see.

SleepReport14Hrs.PNGSleepReport14HrsDetail.PNG

voidshatter
Punch Card
Views: 2,207
Message 8 of 86

@jmota wrote:

There was a BIOS update pushed last week. I installed it and the end behavior is the same (possibly a bit worse). My X1 Yoga laptop loses 88% of its battery over night and then goes to hibernate as battery is too low.

Is anyone seeing such bad drainage as mine? Can you guys post screenshots of what the Windows sleep report says about Modern Standby battery usage?  (run the command: powercfg /SleepStudy /output C:\sleep_report4.html  from an Administrator PowerShell: WindowsKey+X>>KeyA)

After the BIOS update, here is the report I see.

Same here. With BIOS 1.24 I've got a drainage rate at 3107mW with \_SB.PCI0.PR09 as the worst offender as well. Tested both 1803 and 1607 LTSB and both act like this.

Lenovo should bring out a fix with the BIOS, just like they did with the X1C6.

jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,203
Message 9 of 86

Same here. With BIOS 1.24 I've got a drainage rate at 3107mW with \_SB.PCI0.PR09 as the worst offender as well. Tested both 1803 and 1607 LTSB and both act like this.

Lenovo should bring out a fix with the BIOS, just like they did with the X1C6.

Thanks for sharing your details voidshatter. Has it always been this bad for you? Few months back the drainage was not nearly as bad. I'm not sure what broke it. Is there more than one system you are seeing this issue with?

Also, from the details of the folks posting about the X1C6, it seemed that their issue was much less severe  (20-30% overnight) than what we are seeing on the X1 Yoga 3rd gen (~88% battery charge loss overnight).

Can someone from Lenovo chime in and set the expectations for the X1 Yoga users?

Also, have you tried using hibernation? I have tried, but there is a 50-50 chance that something will not work when the laptop comes out of it and that I need to reboot it.

voidshatter
Punch Card
Views: 2,193
Message 10 of 86

I have just recently received this X1Y3 as a replacement for the X1Y2 with the OLED issue, so I have no prior experience with X1Y3 running on earlier BIOS versions. I also don't have any other device forcing this stupid S0i3 sleep either.

I have not tried to use hibernation yet, because I nuked Windows 10 as soon as I saw it forcing an S0i3 sleep upon screen-off. I'm now running Linux until hopefully Lenovo will release a BIOS fix to enable S3 sleep like they did to X1C6.

This is disappointing, as I'd rather have the dual core X1Y2 back, since at least it had proper S3 sleep.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors