Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bukso
Paper Tape
Views: 1,254
Message 21 of 98

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

+1 here

Honestly I don't see any benefit from Modern Standby, it onty cripples the otherwise great X1 Yoga 3 in several ways:

1. battery gets drained for no reason and no benefit while the computer is "sleeping". when sleeping, the battery lasts only hours instead of days (when compared to traditional S3)

2. fans are running and spitting out warm or hot air while sleeping. if laptop is in bag, this air has nowhere to go and I doubt that it is healthy to other components

3.  Windows ignores Screen off and Sleep times and when I lock the computer, it turns off the screen within minute and goes to this non-working sleep

Please add the BIOS option to choose between S3 and Modern Standby (as done in X1 Carbon 6).

Laptop is not a mobile phone - it has active fans and needs space for airflow. Let it sleep in proper way!

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,182
Message 22 of 98

Just voicing my thoughts, but Lenovo may want the X1Y to use modern standby cuz it can also function 'tablet' as opposed to the X1C.... Unfortunately, an actual tablet still consumes less battery when sleeping compared to the X1Y...

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,157
Message 23 of 98

@shockingpants wrote:

Just voicing my thoughts, but Lenovo may want the X1Y to use modern standby cuz it can also function 'tablet' as opposed to the X1C.... Unfortunately, an actual tablet still consumes less battery when sleeping compared to the X1Y...

What's the connection between a "modern suspend" and a tablet. Are you referring to inability of tablets and phones to suspend, and "modern suspend" not being an actual suspend (as I judge from issues people have)?

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,128
Message 24 of 98

It lets you wake the device up quickly. On a phone or tablet, when the screen is off, it is effectively in standby mode, with the ability to wake up instantly. The modern sleep feature on the X1Y lets you wake the laptop up almost instantaneously too. In both cases, the device is running background tasks while in standby, therefore draining battery. I am merely speculating that if Lenovo wants the X1Y to function more like a tablet than a laptop, they may leave the modern standby featuer in.

I just found horrendous battery drain after switching the laptop off completely. I lost 40% after 24 hours. Checking sleep study, it states that the laptop is in shutdown (hybrid)....

What's going on lenovo.... ahhhh

hytekj
Punch Card
Views: 1,108
Message 25 of 98

@shockingpants wrote:

It lets you wake the device up quickly. On a phone or tablet, when the screen is off, it is effectively in standby mode, with the ability to wake up instantly. The modern sleep feature on the X1Y lets you wake the laptop up almost instantaneously too. In both cases, the device is running background tasks while in standby, therefore draining battery. I am merely speculating that if Lenovo wants the X1Y to function more like a tablet than a laptop, they may leave the modern standby featuer in.

I just found horrendous battery drain after switching the laptop off completely. I lost 40% after 24 hours. Checking sleep study, it states that the laptop is in shutdown (hybrid)....

What's going on lenovo.... ahhhh

What Microsoft should've done was keep standby and use that as their modern sleep, have sleep be s3, and keep the hibernate option. 

Cavoke
Punch Card
Views: 1,075
Message 26 of 98

Well, I have a new behavior. I discovered that my X1Y3 does not shut-off... If you do not pay attention to it, in fact it seems to shut down but it reboots a few seconds later... I witnessed this by the small red led in the cover ThinkPad logo, flickering whereas the laptop was supposed to be completely shutoff !

Then you can imagine two days later stored in my bag ?!! Battery Fully drained... Not even 1% remaining

Smiley Mad

I precise that when I shut down, the laptop was connected to network with LAN adaptor... Is there any potential impact ?

I think I did not notice such problem while using Wifi only ?

What do you think ?

I feel completely disappointed, a so expensive system, I mean hardware and software Windows 10 pro, unable to fulfill the basics !!!??

I precise I suffer the battery drainage as all users X1 do, whichever in sleep or hibernate.

Please fix it or I will claim and change my asset very soon....

Thinkpad X1Y3 20LF Windows 10 pro update 1803 version 17134.523
bukso
Paper Tape
Views: 1,044
Message 27 of 98

Yes, comparing X1Y3 in tablet mode and real tablet is valid, but use of Modern Standby on X1Y3 would make sense only if:

- X1Y3 would have passive cooling like all tablets or phones

- firmware or Windows could control power drain, kill apps with excesive drain and gurantee that X1Y3 does not run out of battery within hours when 'sleeping'

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,041
Message 28 of 98

@bukso wrote:

Yes, comparing X1Y3 in tablet mode and real tablet is valid, but to use modern standby on X1Y3 would make sense only if:

- X1Y3 would have passive cooling like any tablet or phone

- firmware or Windows could control power drain, kill apps with excesive drain and gurantee that X1Y3 does not run out of battery within hours when 'sleeping'

…or Linux Smiley Wink That said, killing apps would lead to a lost user's work, so it's a no go.

MoparShaha
Paper Tape
Views: 1,013
Message 29 of 98

Just got my X1 Yoga 3rd gen, and have to agree with what's been said.  Lenovo, please provide an update to allow S3 sleep mode.  My Yoga burns itself up when it's in my bag "asleep".  Aside from potential damage, this behavior dramatically reduces battery life.  

I've switched everything to hibernate for now to avoid the issue, but that's a ridiculous workaround for a $2,500 machine.

jackyjjp
Core Memory
Views: 1,003
Message 30 of 98

I got my X1 Yoga 3rd Gen last week and found exactly the same issue on this laptop.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors