Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 1,080
Message 41 of 97

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

To be fair, 6% is still a lot compared to other laptops, but at least it is comparable to a tablet, and a major improvement from 80%.

• Looks like reinstalling windows fresh from a usb (not from a recovery), without fully reinstalling all Lenovo drivers, will cause the battery to drain quickly in sleep.
  • Installing Ubuntu / Linux will also cause the battery to drain quickly.
  • Switching out the WLAN card to a different one will cause the battery to drain quickly.

Just an update on the review. I received a response and was referred to this generic battery troubleshooting site -.-

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht063051

Again, having the option of S3 sleep / traditional sleep would likely solve all these problems. 

kztopia
Paper Tape
Views: 954
Message 42 of 97

Same problem here.

Sleep for 8hours drains about 20% of the battery.  That's a very unacceptable number compare to other latops.

gwilson19
Punch Card
Views: 928
Message 43 of 97

Dear Lenovo,

Please add the "(New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power" functionality that is now available in BIOS 1.30 for X1C6 to the next X1Y3 BIOS update.

Please add this in the next BIOS update. Please.

mitsuhide
Punch Card
Views: 910
Message 44 of 97

Dear mod:

The lack of S3 sleep for the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen should not be ignored, and the discussion should not be scattered and forgotten.

Please consider merging this thread with a master thread regarding S3 sleep fix: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-S3-Sleep-Linux/m-p/4235264

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 867
Message 45 of 97

The X1C users have already gotten an additional update 1.31 after the one that added S3 sleep. X1Y users are still waiting for an update for sleep...

What kind of oversight would let a laptop with significant battery drain during sleep out on the market is beyond me.... Fix it please lenovo...

widerporst
Punch Card
Views: 805
Message 46 of 97

Last night, my X1 Yoga 3rd lost 61% of charge in about ten hours of "modern standby" until the battery was drained. This is beyond ridiculous. Please, pretty please with sugar on top, get your sh** together, Lenovo.

FuriousX1Y3User
What's DOS?
Views: 769
Message 47 of 97

It's been 52 days since the X1 Carbon 6th Gen got the S3 sleep option in BIOS, yet the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen still doesn't have it with BIOS 1.25.

The lack of S3 sleep for the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen should not be ignored, and the discussion should not be scattered and forgotten.

Please consider merging this thread with a master thread regarding S3 sleep fix: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-S3-Sleep-Linux/m-p/4235264

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 730
Message 48 of 97

The Yoga's bios updates thus far have mirrored the Cabon's, until now.  -.-  The Carbon is already on version 1.31, and the Yoga is only on 1.2x. All the updates are mirrored, except s3 sleep, the one function that'll help with the battery drain issue.

Lenovo, please include the S3 sleep option. Can someone from Lenovo give us an idea on whether S3 sleep will ever be implemented?

<1.25>
 UEFI: 1.25 / ECP: 1.09
- [Important] Update includes a security fix.
- [Important] Added Hyper Threading enable/disable option to ThinkPad Setup for virtualized
              system users in order to address LEN-24163 L1 Terminal Fault Side Channel
              Vulnerabilities (CVE-2018-3646). Refer to Lenovo's Security Advisory page for
              additional information.(https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/LEN-24163)
- (New) Updated the Diagnostics module to version 04.00.001.
- (New) Support WWAN Enable/Disable in ThinkPad Setup - Security - I/O Port Access.
        (Note) If your system has L850-GL Wireless WAN (Mobile Broadband) device
               integrated, please install the latest device driver which version is
               newer than equal 0.9.4.89.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where BIOS silent update might fail with system account.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system may not unlock by TPM pin code.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might display the error message "The connected
        AC adapter has a lower wattage than the recommended AC adapter".

<1.24>
 UEFI: 1.24 / ECP: 1.08
- (New) Support TPM firmware update by utility.
- (New) Support AMT Global Disable feature.
        (Note)
        Intel Management Engine v11.8.50.3460 is required.
- (Fix) Improve power control.
- (Fix) Fix an issue where Wireless LAN device is disabled at boot when "Disable new 
        DMA devices when this computer is locked" is enabled at Group Policy on
        Windows 10 Version 1703.
- (Fix) Fix an issue where BIOS POST might display the error message "Boot Manager recover
        from an error."
- (Fix) Fix an issue where BIOS POST might display the error message "1802: Unauthorized
        network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the network card (8086/7360/0000/0000)."

<1.31>
 UEFI: 1.31 / ECP: 1.09
- [Important] Added Hyper Threading enable/disable option to ThinkPad Setup for virtualized
              system users in order to address LEN-24163 L1 Terminal Fault Side Channel
              Vulnerabilities (CVE-2018-3646). Refer to Lenovo's Security Advisory page for
              additional information.(https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/LEN-24163)
- (New) Updated the Diagnostics module to version 04.00.001.
- (New) Support WWAN Enable/Disable in ThinkPad Setup - Security - I/O Port Access.
        (Note) If your system has L850-GL Wireless WAN (Mobile Broadband) device
               integrated, please install the latest device driver which version is
               newer than equal 0.9.4.89.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where BIOS silent update might fail with system account.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system may not unlock by TPM pin code.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where the system might display the error message "The connected
        AC adapter has a lower wattage than the recommended AC adapter".

<1.30>
 UEFI: 1.30 / ECP: 1.08
- (New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power.
        (Note) "Linux" option is optimized for Linux OS, Windows user must select 
	       "Windows 10" option.

<1.28>
 UEFI: 1.28 / ECP: 1.08
- (Fix) Improve power control.

<1.27>
 UEFI: 1.27 / ECP: 1.08
- (New) Support TPM firmware update by utility.

Patatra
Punch Card
Views: 672
Message 49 of 97

Hi everybody,

I just bought a ThinkPad X1 Yoga yesterday, waiting for it to be deliver, probably next week.

I plan to use it with dualboot archlinux (main usage)/ W10 (specific usage for some software). I've just read the whole thread about the battery drain and I have to admit that I already want to return the laptop (well, I have to receive it first, but I guess I will not even open the package).

I can't afford a 80% drain within hours, I need to use the laptop in mobility, in a car, open it for maybe 10 min, close it for half an hour and so on. I thought Lenovo ThinkPad would be a good choice for Linux and for productivity. Well, it seems that the ThinkPad spirit was lost when ThinkPad division became a Lenovo thing instead of an IBM one.

What a pitty, it seems to me like a great device, but at >2.000€, I'm really waiting for something to work, or at less to have a correct after sales service. Lenovo didn't want to follow their products? Well, I will not follow Lenovo at all.

Thanks for reading, Patatra.

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 617
Message 50 of 97

Try it out, see what kind of battery drain you are experiencing. I am guessing with stock OS and drivers, you are looking at about 20% or so overnight. If you reinstall windows 10, change any parts like the SSD or WLAN card or something that changes the way modern sleep work, you may get up to 80% drain... I have experienced both, people in this forum have reported both kinds of behaviors too. What's weird is that there are so few reviews that mention the issue.

Gd luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors