Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patatra
Punch Card
Views: 971
Message 51 of 97

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

Well, even if 20% is better than 80%, it's not what I expect from a 2018 product, especially when  it is possible for Lenovo to add the S3 sleep mode with a few percent overnight drain. The clue is, they could make it right, but they doesn't want to.

I'll give it a try anyway, but I'll also consider looking for another device from a manufacturer who cares about consumers complaints. And I will for sure leave a review on X1 Yoga page (the French page for this product show disappointed reviews about autonomy. Well, we love complaining in France! Hope my English is good by the way)

Cheers

Hi-Angel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 879
Message 52 of 97

@Patatra wrote:

Hi everybody,

I just bought a ThinkPad X1 Yoga yesterday, waiting for it to be deliver, probably next week.

I plan to use it with dualboot archlinux (main usage)/ W10 (specific usage for some software). I've just read the whole thread about the battery drain and I have to admit that I already want to return the laptop (well, I have to receive it first, but I guess I will not even open the package).

I can't afford a 80% drain within hours, I need to use the laptop in mobility, in a car, open it for maybe 10 min, close it for half an hour and so on. I thought Lenovo ThinkPad would be a good choice for Linux and for productivity. Well, it seems that the ThinkPad spirit was lost when ThinkPad division became a Lenovo thing instead of an IBM one.

What a pitty, it seems to me like a great device, but at >2.000€, I'm really waiting for something to work, or at less to have a correct after sales service. Lenovo didn't want to follow their products? Well, I will not follow Lenovo at all.

Thanks for reading, Patatra.

I just found out: turns out, Lenovo has a page dedicated to the list of their laptops that are known to work okay with GNU/Linux out-of-the-box https://support.lenovo.com/ru/en/solutions/pd031426

macowie
Fanfold Paper
Views: 825
Message 53 of 97

I got my dual boot setup done this week and was surprised this was still an issue. I didn't realize they only fixed it for the carbon and not the yoga. Very disappointing something this simple has gone unfixed for so long. Come on, Lenovo.

euclidnet
Paper Tape
Views: 809
Message 54 of 97

I just received my X1 Yoga 3rd gen, and was astounded by the horrible battery life. I would leave it plugged in overnight and wake up to 80% battery charge. Or put it in my bag, and open it up, and have 20% remaining.

I'm coming from a yoga 2 pro (2015/2016), so if anything I expected a huge increase in battery life. My yoga 2 pro I could go two or more days without charging - my typical use pattern is opening for 15-20 minutes, storing in my bag maybe 7-8 times a day.

I've done everything I can think of, changing windows power settings to hibernate rather than sleep, but this is absurd. If there isn't a fix for this before my return window is up, I'll be returning it for my money back and looking for another ultrabook.

Patatra
Punch Card
Views: 783
Message 55 of 97

My order should be deliver on 11/13. I will give it a try, but will not hesitate to return it if I'm not satisfied and if nothing is done by Lenovo to solve that issue. Already looking at HP and Dell.

psierak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 757
Message 56 of 97

Yeah it is pretty brutal.

I get pretty crap battery life even regularly. like 3.5 hours just youtube and word processing with screen almost entirely dim.

jmota
Fanfold Paper
Views: 715
Message 57 of 97

If you leave the laptop plugged overnight and next morning battery charge is at 80%, you have have a deffective unit and not be directly related to the sleep issue. But who knows.

Paul_Review2020
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 694
Message 58 of 97

I agree, if you leave the laptop plugged over night and in the morning you are only at 80% you have a bug that levono should debug with you. It could be the battery is bad or the components on the battery that report charge are bad.  It could also be an OS issue, but again, Lenovo needs to take responsibility to root cause this issue for you.

What has Lenovo support told you ?

BeamerLED
Punch Card
Views: 681
Message 59 of 97

Regarding the 80% max charge issue, I just want to throw this out there to eliminate some possibilities.  Did you adjust the settings for the battery saver feature?  Sorry, I do not have my machine with me at work, so I do not remember exactly what this function is called.  In an attempt to prolong the long-term battery life, it prevents the battery from charging unless it falls below some percentage (default seems to be 95%).  Maybe yours is set to some value less than 80, so it isn't charging.  Worth checking out if you haven't already.

euclidnet
Paper Tape
Views: 667
Message 60 of 97

Thank for the replies and suggestions. Didn't know that about the battery saver issue - and I hadn't run the Lenovo support utility to update drivers / bios out of the box, so I've done that and opened a ticket at this point, to at least reserve the right to possibly return the unit under their 30 day sale term. I'm hoping to hear back from Lenovo support soon, and will update if I get a satisfactory resolution.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors