Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MatthewZhao
Paper Tape
Views: 677
Message 81 of 97

Re: Excessive Battery Drain while ThinkPad X1 Yoga Laptop Sleeps

Lenovo, give us s3 sleep and the possibility to turn off modern sleep!

rxmd
What's DOS?
Views: 956
Message 82 of 97

I use Linux, where t least I can get S3 sleep by patching the ACPI tables. It's a hassle, but it works.

But I feel for the Windows users who have shelled out big money for a laptop, only to find out that it drains the battery because of a bad ACPI implementation.

It would be really about time to get a BIOS update with an S3 option, like the X1 Carbon did.

gwilson19
Punch Card
Views: 900
Message 83 of 97

Dear Lenovo,

Please add the "(New) Support Optimized Sleep State for Linux in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power" functionality that is now available in BIOS 1.30 for X1C6 to the next X1Y3 BIOS update.

Please add this in the next BIOS update. Please. Please.

leitsda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 700
Message 84 of 97

Hi,

I am experiencing just the same. I paid 3000 € for a top-equipped Yoga 3rd and am stuck here with a user experience thats a lot worse than my old T410. Closed the lid last night around midnight and put it on the nightstand, just to wake up to the fan spinning and battery drained significantly.

Seriously: This is not some cheap stuff. It a top-notch professional laptop. I think in 2019 we can expect a laptop to have working standby mode. I don't care if it's called "modern standby" or S3 or whatever. I expect to close the lid, and after a few seconds the device should be quiet and in power save mode. And then I want to open the lid and have it working within a _very_ few seconds. Just like my 8 year old T410. Could leave this guy in standby for two weeks without a problem. Try this with a new one...

I feel embarassed when I open my new laptop compared to a macbook. Is this Leonvo strategy?

I do understand that Microsoft forces some of this... behaviour. But please include the S3 BIOS option just like you did for the X1C with BIOS 1.30. Don't make buyers of the yoga feel second (well... third) class behind Apple users and your own customers using a device which happens not to have a foldback screen. Believe me, it does not hurt to have a BIOS option like that.

Regards,

Daniel

ThisIsLex
Fanfold Paper
Views: 623
Message 85 of 97

I have the same problem with the X1 battery drain during sleep mode - even though it's now almost a year after release of the product. Still no sign of a fix. Absolutely dreadful.

shockingpants
Punch Card
Views: 616
Message 86 of 97

We are at firmware 1.30 with no fix in view. It is absolutely frustrating. Calling customer service didn't help... The worst thing is, we know that the fix is possible and already available on a sister laptop. 

Which is why when I recommended my wife a laptop, I skipped Lenovo. 

nkdnnlr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 573
Message 87 of 97

Making some noise here also now. It cannot be that one buys a "top-notch" device and can not expect basic features such as a proper sleep mode from it. So far I am absolutely disappointed by my purchase of the X1Y3.

Working at a quite large academic department, I've never hesitated to recommend to my students and colleagues the Lenovo ThinkPad series for their work, especially for the majority that is using Linux. As for now I will have to change my tone and will definitely warn them about new Lenovo devices in general and the utterly lack of received support.

Enabling S3 sleep on the next BIOS update (which hopefully will come out soon) as well as responding to this and similar threads, is the least you could do.

Lenovo X1Y3
Ubuntu 16.04
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 450
Message 88 of 97

Re: x1 Yoga 3rd Gen battery drain during sleep

Take a look at this Tip. Hope it helps.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/da/solutions/ht507599

nkdnnlr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 487
Message 89 of 97

You surely must be joking. There are 9 pages full of complaints about your system not work properly and not being fixed in the last x BIOS updates, causing trouble especially for Linux users, and now you are linking us to a post updated last year that shows, at most, a patch for Windows 10 users? Without even addressing the problems and concerns that have been stated? A quick recap in case you did not read them: No, those tips unfortunately don't help.

Please simply answer the following questions: How comes that there has been a BIOS update for the X1C6 that enables proper sleep but not for the X1Y3? Will it come at some point?

Please understand that I am not attacking you personally, but also that I am deeply disappointed by the received support from Lenovo. Your webpage (www.lenovo.com/linux) clearly states that this device should support the Linux operating system and should run properly under several Linux distributions, which it clearly does not.

Lenovo X1Y3
Ubuntu 16.04
leitsda
Fanfold Paper
Views: 468
Message 90 of 97

Well.... as was stated before... this does not help. The problem is: "modern standby" is just not working correctly.

Just came back home, laptop had not been used for about 14hours. But, as happened many times before, the fan is runnig full (?) speed, laptop is significantly warm to the touch. Opening the Win10 task manager shows no suspicious tasks. About 30 seconds after "wake up" the fan turns off.

Come on! This is 2019! This is a modern operating system on a 3000 EUR Thinkpad. And it's heating my room while not being used for hours. Please don't tell me this is the expected behaviour. While we (or at least I) do not expect you to fix Microsoft problems, we DO expect Lenovo to offer the standby function that was working for years and years. If MS is making any trouble you can still say "it's for linux users only, look, there's even a special message in the BIOS setup", I promise I won't tell them the truth. Please give us S3 standby back.

Regards, Daniel

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors