Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icemant23
What's DOS?
Views: 3,095
Message 11 of 38

Re: Expanded battery recall 2015

Mark,

I have a lenovo thinkpad X220 which has a battery that has been affected by the recall from a year ago. This is a bit of a convoluted story, so please bear weith me.

Called Technical support regarding the recall and gave them my model number: First rep indicated that my model/battery was affected by the recall  and tranferred me. Call got dropped.

Called a second time and got counced around three times (over an hour). Final person indicated that they could not help and that I should use the online platform to file my claim.

I tried using the online platform. Entered serial number for battery and automated response indicated that my battery was not subject to the recall. I checked on CPSCs website and the battery model was clearly included in the recall.

Called back tech support to find out what to do. Three different reps said they could not do anything to help. ( I will say that the represetatives were very nice and understood the issue, but essentially said their hands were tied.)

I asked if there was a recall department or other dicision i could call to get this resolved, but the answer was NO.

Ultimately Filed a complaint with the CPSC who forwarded to Lenovo. Have not heard back from them.

I will ultimately end up ordering a new battery due to the fact that the recall regarded a fire hazard. As an Attorney, I cannot fathom that Lenovo would turn such a blind eye to a legitimate claim such as this. That being said, I have always been a loyal customer and love the thinkpad line of laptops. Your customer support personnell were very attentive and kind, but ultimately unable to resolve my issue.

Please feel free to contact me regarding this matter. I would greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 3,043
Message 12 of 38

Hi Icemant23,

the FRU part numbers were published and used to identify which batteries should be checked, not all batteries bearing a particular FRU part number were affected / included the fault and therefore require to be recalled.  It is actually the bar code number on the battery, which includes another part number and serial number, which is used to identify whether or not a particular individual battery requires replacing.

As the automatic checker states that your battery is not affected this means that it is not one of the series of batteries with that particular FRU part number which requires replacement.

Hope that explains the situation for you.

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

PBR
Paper Tape
Views: 3,036
Message 13 of 38

Dear Mark - Thanks agian for the advice in regards battery recall, my new battery arrived within 7 days of my request which I sent electronically really fantastic service.

Rgds

Paul

bubblegun23
Paper Tape
Views: 2,784
Message 14 of 38

Can someone help me here?

I used the battery recall tool which I downloaded and ran on my x220. The tool said I had an affected battery.

I received a replacement battery about 3 days later - very prompt! - through UPS.

However, to my dismay the battery was the wrong model and thus it doesn't fit my x220. I sent an email over a week ago to advise but have had nothing back about this. I found a few old posts through google of similar problems.

The battery they have sent me is the wrong size for my Thinkpad.
The barcode on it is 11S45N1000Z1ZKFD4CPSGL
It is a 70+ battery.

The original battery in the Thinkpad is a 29+ battery.

The barcode on it is 11S42T4862Z1ZJRK229BHK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,773
Message 15 of 38

Hi

I don't know how to resolve this issue besides Lenovo's staff, but regarding the battery you'e almost right - 70+ series is for another laptop models, L/T/W/420/520/430/530.

29+ series for the x220 has been replaced 4 years ago with 44+ one.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,767
Message 16 of 38

Hi Anthony, welcome to the forums,

I should be able to get this corrected for you, could you please send me the following information by private message;

Full Name;
Telephone No.;
email address;

Postal address;

Thanks in advance

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

another_thomas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,684
Message 17 of 38

So thruogh website I found out I am eligibe, I placed an order and I wait, and wait... It's been two weeks with no response and the only contact e-mail address I got is giving me this:

--- The following addresses had delivery problems ---

<battery@lenovo.com>   (5.1.1 User unknown)

What is going on? Will I ever recieve my battery?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,665
Message 18 of 38

Hello and welcome to the community,

could you send me your order number in a private message along with the details requested in post 16 above and I'll try and see what I can find out for you.

Thanks in advance

Andy

English Community Leader

PBR
Paper Tape
Views: 2,661
Message 19 of 38

Mark - I had my battery changed quite a few months ago by Lenovo and very efficient services and exchange took place. I am though still getting email msgs about it, how do I stop them?
another_thomas
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,610
Message 20 of 38

another week passed and nothing came, not even e-mail if they are even doing anything, I think this replacement program is no longer active, the page is still up tho, makes me wonder...

Top Kudoed Authors