Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,760
Message 1 of 6

External PCIe graphics card not detecting on X1 Carbon 1st gen

Hello all,

I have a 1st Gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon, running 64bit Windows 8.1, and I'm having trouble getting it to detect my external graphics card.

I'm using a GTX960 sitting in an "EXP GDC Beast" external graphics card cradle, powered by an ATX power supply.  I'm confident that it's plugged in correctly, as the power supply starts up when I boot my laptop, and both the cradle and the graphics card show the correct LEDs when everything is turned on.  It's plugged into my TV using the HDMI cable.  As a troubleshooting step, I did the "paperclip trick" to get the ATX power supply to stay on all the time, but the card still isn't detecting.

The cradle is plugged into the X1 Carbon (1st gen) using the PCIe port under the keyboard.  I had to remove the WWAN card to make room for it.  Windows Device Manager no longer lists the WWAN card, but it doesn't seem to detect the cradle yet.  I tried downloading "DIY eGPU Setup 1.35" from "egpu.io", but i'm waiting for developer's email before I can start using this third-party app.

I'm not getting any error messages, nor any strange sounds or lights from the graphics card.  Therefore, I can only assume it's a software issue.

Can anyone please offer any advice on how to proceed next?  I'm struggling to find any useful information on this eGPU cradle anywhere online, so I hope this community will be able to help.

I appreciate any tips you can offer.

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az

LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,733
Message 2 of 6

Re: External PCIe graphics card not detecting on X1 Carbon 1st gen

Hello All,

I'm continuing to research this issue, and it looks like the BIOS Whitelist may be part of the problem; but I'm not sure.

My research shows that the BIOS Whitelist will prevent me from installing third-party wireless cards, but:

1. this is an eGPU, not a wireless card, and

2. there is no system error when I boot up with the eGPU plugged in (research on the BIOS Whitelist implies I won't be able to boot my system at all with an unauthorised item connected).

I'd also rather not play around with my BIOS if at all possible.  I just want to play The Witcher 3, and the only part of my Thinkpad X1 Carbon that doesn't meet the minimum requirements is the graphics card.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az

LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,732
Message 3 of 6

And one more thing that might affect this issue:

I'm connecting my eGPU to the PCIe slot where my WWAN card used to be.  I was told that the WWAN card doesn't have the same connectivity as a WLAN card, so it might not work.  That said, the connection my WLAN card uses is narrower than the one for the WWAN card, so my eGPU cable won't fit.

Do I need to get a different cable, or an adaptor, for my eGPU to connect to my WLAN card's PCIe slot, or should I be able to get it to work in the slot where my WWAN card used to be?

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,711
Message 4 of 6

Hi

The incompatibility with PCIe card in the wwan slot you've faced isn't a trouble, it's a feature of the wwan slot as it's not full functional PCIe slot with data and management pins. This slot has restricted number of PCIe bus pins - for UIM and card managrement only (enable/disable). It uses USB 2.0 bus for data.

So, adapter/coverter you mention will not help.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

LionDrawing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,682
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for explaining it to me.  You also answered my related question here.

I guess this means I have no options for connecting an eGPU now; which is a shame, because the rest of my system easily meets the system requirements for The Witcher 3, and only the graphics card lets me down.

If there's any sort of adapter I can buy to connect my PCIe eGPU cable into the SFF proprietary slot, I'd appreciate you letting me know, but I have no reason to believe Lenovo would have any reason to release such a product, and I doubt it would even have room under the keyboard to fit it in.

Anyway, thanks again for being so helpful.  All the best in your future endeavours.

Regards,

Adam Zebrowski

-az

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,677
Message 6 of 6

> If there's any sort of adapter I can buy to connect my PCIe eGPU cable into the SFF proprietary slot, I'd appreciate you letting me know

I know about SFF adapter to upgrade existing drive in x1c gen1 with common m.2 SSD, there is a lot of threads in the forum. But I didn't see such adapter for wlan slot. Moreover, there is a chance BIOS whitelist for PCIe wireless devices will not pass unapproved device in that slot.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors