07-16-2018

US

18 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 1 of 22

External mouse randomly freezes when connected via dock

2018-07-17, 0:44 AM

Hi, I think I hit some sort of edge case here. I've tried a lot of things but just can't seem to nail down the problem. Hope you guys can help me out with this one

This is the equipment I have:

• X1C6 - 20HK-CT01WW (Windows 10 pro)
  • ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock - 40AF
  • Wired mouse (Logitech-G402 & Corsair Harpoon)

The problem

When I connect the mouse to the dock and the dock to the laptop, the mouse works but it always freezes randomly for a second and then moves normaly for another few seconds before getting stuck again. This is really frustrating me and have no idea what to do. Also I dont have anything else attached to the dock.

What I've tried

Ok so to debug this, I replaced the laptop with my old laptop. So my setup now looks like this:

Mouse <-> Dock <-> Old Laptop

The mouse works with no problem at all.

At this point I feel the problem is with my X1C6 since the setup works with an old laptop. So I download all the drivers and install them. Including BIOS update and chipset drivers on my X1C6. No luck at all. Same mouse freezing problem.

I feel my mouse has some compatability issue so I try a different wired mouse from a different brand. Still no luck at all.

I try a third mouse which is wireless. I plug in the USB receiver into the dock and windows installs drivers and wireless mouse works perfectly!

I tried to connect the wired mouses directly to the X1C6 and it works perfectly! So no driver issues.

The problem seems to be only with wired mouse when connected through the dock

At this point I know

• The dock is fine since it works in other laptops
  • The mouse is fine since it works when
    • Directly connected to the X1C6
    • Through the dock with other laptops

So my culprit is the X1C6. However, I'm still baffeled about the fact that the wired mouse works when connected directly to the laptop but freezes randomly when connected through the dock. So it must be some driver / windows issue!

I then tried one more experiment. I installed Ubuntu on a bootable USB flash drive and did a ubuntu live boot from the usb 

I tried the "Mouse <-> Dock <-> X1C6"  setup again. It worked! All of my wired mouses work perfectly

So at this point I know

• The dock is fine since it works in other laptops
  • The mouse is fine since it works when
    • Directly connected to the X1C6
    • Through the dock with other laptops
  • The X1C6 doesn't have any hardware issues since the mouse works perfectly in ubuntu

There must be an issue with windows then! So I must reinstall windows. I create a bootable USB flash drive using this tool that microsoft provides. I boot from the USB. Guess what? My mouse glitches again in the setup screen's welcome page!  Still have the "Mouse <-> Dock <-> X1C6"  setup. 

I reinstall windows anyways. Install all the drivers. Still no luck...

I really don't know whats wrong. Seems like there is some incompatibility. Any help debugging further would be much appreciated. 

Options

3 Posts

07-16-2018

US

18 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 2 of 22

Re: External mouse randomly freezes when connected via dock

2018-07-18, 23:11 PM

Bump, anyone from support?

Options

3 Posts

07-16-2018

US

18 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 3 of 22

2018-07-22, 18:53 PM

bump

Options

41 Posts

06-13-2018

CN

62 Signins

783 Page Views

• Views: 783
  • Message 4 of 22

2018-07-26, 9:33 AM

Hello.

Can you try to update the latest driver and FW version of the Logitech G402 mouse? We found the same issue with Logitech G502 mouse   via USB-C dock on X1 carbon 6th,but can not duplicate issue after update the mouse FW. The latest FW version is 88.2.17.

Please download the latest driver and FW version with the following link:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/g502-proteus-spectrum-rgb-gaming-mouse/getting-started

Options

2 Posts

11-26-2018

SE

3 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 5 of 22

2018-11-26, 8:42 AM

I have the same issue, tried with a logitech G pro as well as a QPAD 8K Pro RGB Laser, please advice.

Options

1 Posts

11-27-2018

US

1 Signins

12 Page Views

• Views: 12
  • Message 6 of 22

2018-11-27, 13:23 PM

Why is this thread marked as solved when no one confirmed the solution provided actually worked?  I'm experiencing the same external mouse freezing issue, while connected to a DisplayLink hub, on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga (3rd gen) laptop.  I'm using an old school wired Microsoft IntelliMouse USB.  I didn't have this issue while using the same exact setup with the Lenovo Yoga 900.  

Options

1 Posts

01-02-2019

GB

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 7 of 22

2019-01-02, 10:46 AM

I have exactly the same problem with my lenovo thinkpad t480, running windows 10 using a USB-c pluggable dock (3 ext displays)

I have tried with 3 seperate mouses and experience mouse freeze which is so frustrating. It works perfectly fine connected directly to laptop.

I have also tried a different usb-c dock to see if the issue persisted and it appears it does.

This is not a mouse issue as I have tried several devices and has the same problem with each.

Why is nobody from lenovo taking this issue seriously? The original poster couldnt have been more clear in the steps taken to try to resolve this issue with no assistance from anybody?

Please lenovo listen to us the consumers and help us fix this issue?!

Options

1 Posts

05-08-2019

NO

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 8 of 22

2019-05-08, 18:23 PM

Bump! Having this exact issue with new x1 carbon connected to docking. Mouse has been working fine for years on other dockings, works fine directly connected to PC but not via docking. Mouse pointer freeze for 1sec every now and then...

Options

2 Posts

04-30-2019

AU

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 9 of 22

2019-05-21, 23:49 PM

Bump ! 

Options

12 Posts

11-05-2009

US

54 Signins

727 Page Views

• Views: 727
  • Message 10 of 22

2019-05-26, 2:13 AM
I have the mouse pointer freezing issue as well. In my case a USB mouse and keyboard are connected to an Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub. I'll start noting the specifics of when it's happening and add details here. It's maddening because it doesn't happen all the time — just a lot.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save