US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 7

Extremely disappointed by x1 extreme gen 2

2020-01-21, 3:27 AM

Hi guys,

I was never the person to whine and moan about problems until now...

I wont bore you with my story, so I'll jump straight into it. After waiting for nearly a month and a half, the new the new X1 Extreme Gen 2, 4k, i9 had arrived, full of dissapointing surprises. Here is my experience after 3 days of playing with it. Caveat emptor.

They keyboard - I don't know what they've done to it, but my joints are hurting after use. I need to apply reasonable effort when typing - if that makes sense. Also, keys aren't registering at times and the space bar... oh boy. Watch the video please.

4k matte screen - considering I work in "dark mode" and all my windows are set to dark grey, the LCD "glow/bleed" is very noticeable. See photo (the left one is my w541 3k screen for comparison)

Trackpad - it's an improvement from my w541, but still feels slightly sluggish and not as "accurate" as the macbook. (windows problem?) Hell, even my w541 feels better. The left trackpoint button also misses clicks, similar to the space bar. I didn't film the video, but it's the exact same problem.

Throttling was mad, but after undervolting to -0.100, it seems to be under control with adequate cpu/gpu temps idling below 50C. Even when gaming, it remains under 70C.

Gaming - I'm sure this is a windows problem, but I'll throw it out there... Every time I would play pubG or any other game, the screen would change color temperature from warm to cold. It's odd. I wasn't able to find anything online, but it feels like a calibration/color profile problem. The colors are also over saturated.

When placing the laptop on a flat surface, the bottom right corner of the palmrest is slightly liften off the surfacee. So evertime I place my wrist on it, I can hear a slight bang on the table. On top of everything else, the chassis are warped!!!

Please talk me off the ledge here -- am I expecting too much? Am I the "unreasonable" one? Should I return it and go elsewhere or give Lenovo another chance and exchange it? (Not sure if I can afford to wait another 1.5 months)

I have an on-site warranty, is it worth having the parts replaced? (afraid of scratches/scuffs from technicians). At this point, I'm willing to pay an extra $1.5K on top of the $3,000 that I've already spent on the X1 just for the peace of mind that comes with the MPB6. Sorry, Lenovo, but you've lost my business forever. I understand there might have been 1 problem or 2, but this is Murphy's Law at play.

Options

331 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

138 Signins

2803 Page Views

• Views: 2803
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Extremely disappointed by x1 extreme gen 2

2020-01-21, 5:40 AM
I can't answer/give you feedback related to the build quality of your device since it varies between batches and where the device is bought.

However, if you noticed a warped chassis, you properly should as the technical support to send you a new device.

There is one thing in common though, NEVER EVER buy a laptop with i9 inside (and sometimes i7). i9 simply generates too much heat which no laptops can handle it properly (at least in the year 2020). Not to mention you have a thin laptop.
Options

9 Posts

12-05-2019

US

22 Signins

296 Page Views

• Views: 296
  • Message 3 of 7

2020-01-22, 18:23 PM

My Advice: Return it and get a refund while you still can,  if you can.    This machine has proven to be very problematic for many of us, and I can say I wish I had gone with my gut and returned it while I still could have.    After waiting for months to even recieve my machine, I was very hesitant to return my machine when I finally got it,  I should have as I was as  disssappointed then as I am now.

Options

197 Posts

12-01-2019

CL

209 Signins

1779 Page Views

• Views: 1779
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-01-22, 21:16 PM

Return it as fast as yo can.

It's NOT the worst laptop in the universe (like an Asus), but it has some unnaceptable flaws for this price point.

For me, I am only having the keyboard problem, and the bottom cover. The rest of the Notebook, including the thermals and the 4K matte display, it's fine.

And the Notebook is rock solid. Very stable. Not a single crash or stability problem, like my old ZenBook Pro that BSODed every day.

I am still in the refund period, but I am waiting for the end of this month for a keyboard fix.

Options

31 Posts

10-26-2019

US

37 Signins

560 Page Views

• Views: 560
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-01-26, 9:02 AM

"When placing the laptop on a flat surface, the bottom right corner of the palmrest is slightly liften off the surfacee. So evertime I place my wrist on it, I can hear a slight bang on the table. On top of everything else, the chassis are warped!!!"

Here the issue with that. The chassis is not warped. This is purely a design flaw. The back cover tabs at the bottom that slip into the midframe are different thicknesses. Looks right to the eye but you need a micrometer to tell the difference. Also the screw in the bottom middle is not right.

I have a fix for this exact issue. I will be blogging about it in a couple of days so hang tight.

PS as far as the other issues, that's nothing. I waited an additional two months from order time to get a machine with a 4k screen that froze every hour. Finally I had the tech come out and get me another motherboard. Last post speaks of the tech.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Lenovo-X1-Extreme-Gen2-Black-Screen-Freezes-and-High-CPU/td-p/4613163/page/2

Options

47 Posts

12-09-2019

US

262 Signins

2996 Page Views

• Views: 2996
  • Message 6 of 7

Re:Extremely disappointed by x1 extreme gen 2

2020-06-05, 13:46 PM

@patg84 Do you have a solution to the back cover problem? Would be greatly appreciated. I received a new back panel in the mail which didn't solve the problem either.

Options

197 Posts

12-01-2019

CL

209 Signins

1779 Page Views

• Views: 1779
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:Extremely disappointed by x1 extreme gen 2

2020-06-05, 15:25 PM
I am interested in this too.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete