Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,668
Message 1 of 23

'F11 key not working for reimaging hard drive on X201

Hello to all,

I I am having an issue with F11 key when booting up to engage in a recovery of factory partition of Windows 7 as it was shipped from factory, or as Lenovo calls it, Q drive. It is basically an image of Windows for reinstalling as was.

For some reason unknown to me, it will not work. I get no response.  Can anyone suggest a way to either get my F11 key to bring up the desired screens for a new image procedure, or any workarounds to this? I cannot access this through ThinkVantage either, which is a Lenovo help program. I have not reinstalled any new OS, nor have I reinstalled any previous versions of images of same OS. I have the x64 version.

I guess I could contact Lenovo and buy a new set of disks to do this, but it is too much money right now without trying something first.

I really need to reimage my laptop, as my Windows 7 pro has some serious issues that only a new installation (or new image in this case) will solve. Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated, and yes, the Q drive is showing up in Disk Management as around 6 or 7 GB, yet I have no idea of how to initiate this process at bootup.

Thanks in advance

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,652
Message 2 of 23

Re: 'F11 key not working for reimaging hard drive on X201

Hi,

please, confirm:
1. you are not able to perform factory recovery after you press F11. What do you see in this case?
2. you are not able to boot into the Lenovo recovery environment after you press ThinkVantage button. What do you see?

Do you have Lenovo Factoty Recovery media set?
Are you able to make it using applet in Control Panel?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

greg30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,641
Message 3 of 23

Hi,

please, confirm:
1. you are not able to perform factory recovery after you press F11. What do you see in this case?
2. you are not able to boot into the Lenovo recovery environment after you press ThinkVantage button. What do you see?

Do you have Lenovo Factoty Recovery media set?
Are you able to make it using applet in Control Panel? 

===========================================================

Yes, that is correct.

When the F11 key is continually pressed at a new boot up, I will go into a regular Windows Startup and my desktop icons will appear. No error message, no nothing to note that F11 was pressed.

When the Thinkvantage key at top of keyboard is pressed, I go into what is called a Startup Interrupt Menu,

Under this heading it shows this:

Press one of the following keys to continue

Esc-normal setup

F1- to enter BIOS Setup Utility

F12- to choose a temporary startup device

As for the last two questions you ask, I am not aware of these. I know I do not have any  Factory Recovery Set for this laptop, but do have it for another Lenovo T61P. Not sure if this is relevant, but do they did send all recovery disks for my other laptop and even sent another copy of Windows XP for the other laptop.

As for the applet, I am not sure how this is done through Control Panel or even what you are referring to.

I appreciate your interest in helping me solve this issue, as I did not ever think that this would ever be an issue should the time come that this would ever be needed and it takes an F11 key to get the process started.

Thanks again

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,605
Message 4 of 23

Hi,

look at the Contol Panel. There should be "Recovery Media" application in "System and Security" section (green text "Lenovo's Factory Recovery Disks").

As you can't access to the Recovery workspace by pressing ThinkVantage button (the other question - why?) while laptop boots up recovery from the created media seems the simplest way.

Note all programs, data, settings on the disk drive will be deleted.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

greg30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,597
Message 5 of 23

There is nothing in control panel that shows Recovery Manager. Is it possible to download and install this at this point? Wasn't there a point some time ago when Lenovo said it was no longer going to use the Thinkvantage program? I have been searching for an answer to this, and I can't seem to work around this. I may have to just reinstall Windows 7 pro64 as the "fix." I do know Acronis TI program has interferred with many programs such as imaging software in the past, and whether installing this TI program and reinstalling it a few times has messed with the Lenovo recovery process, may be a reasonable suspicion as to what happened. I have an Acronis TI image of this computer when first bought also, but can't find it. I may look for it tomorrow and go that route and if all else fails, redo 7.  It just seems whenever I reinstall an OS there is some issue like a driver not reinstalled or something that happens.

only items in section you referred dealing with Lenovo are:

Lenovo- Update and drivers

Lenovo- Power controls

Lenovo-Airbag protection

All others are Windows related items.

Though off topic, do I have to backup drivers or anything special prior to doing a new install if anyone knows??:

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,570
Message 6 of 23

You should try and find Lenovo apllication for the factory media creation mentioned. There is a lot of methods:
- in the Start menu. Is there "Lenovo Device Expirience" item or something else related?
- in Control Panel;
- using file manager, folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Factory Recovery";
- at least, open "Computer" folder, right click on Q: . Do you see something related to Lenovo, Recovery...?

There is a bit more complicated method to deploy factory image from Lenovo .wim archives to the partitions directly, one-by-one. You'll need USB stick with WinPE (WinRE) workspace (or Lenovo Recovery media, not Factory Recovery one) and imagex.exe (from m$) or Gimagex.exe (3rd party) utility.

Did you repartition the hard drive earlier, change the size of partitions?

If you'll decide to perform a fresh installation of win7 don't worry about missed Lenovo drivers or applications. Everything you'll need to download manually is network driver for internet access (if it's absent in OS but I don't beleave in that) and ThinkVantage System Update. That application will find and download needed software itself. The only Factory Recovery Disks application and 3rd party software like Office will be not downloaded.

greg30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,557
Message 7 of 23

I found no folder in any places you suggested for factory recovery.

When I right clicked on the Q image it said "no files found." Is there any option to hide or show these files that I am not seeing? I have the folder options set to "show all folders." Even though this is shown as a disk as 6.01 GB of 10.2GB, when I click to open it, it shows no files or folders. Is this common for a recovery image, or does it need an image program to open it?  I thought this was a safety issue so the image could never be missed with, but now I am beginning to wonder why I cannot explore this in any way, or at least get a message that it needs to be opened with certain software. Can you explain what is going on here?

I cannot find factory media creation on this computer. I have never repartitioned or changed size of partitions. This computer has been repaired a few times at Lenovo, so what they may have done I don't know. It does seem that when I got it back from them by Thinkvantage button no longer worked, but I can't be for sure on that.

Can I get a download of a factory media recovery disk bootup to initiate this process from the Lenovo site? Please see this link and tell me if it is valid for this problem if you can? Not sure if this will work on X201 or not, or if I am completely off track.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Factory-Restore-using-F11-at-boot-doesn-t-work...

Many have had this same issue, but usually a result of repartitioning hard drive or reloading Windows, unlike me.

Here is another that I found that may help but know little about the actual process.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76254

thanks for all help. 

greg30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,550
Message 8 of 23

I was thinking that rather than using Lenovo method to reinstall image, why not use Acronis method. I mounted the Q drive that was imaged about 6 months ago, and was able to explore this recovery image. It has some folders in it that I could save and burn if I needed to, but I have no idea which one of these launches to procedure. If I do a recovery through Acronis and just indicate I want the Q drive to be reinstalled, will it reinstall the system as imaged or just reinstall the image? I am not sure as each program is kind of proprietary to itself, but I did see some folders in the Q image like Factory Recovery, Lenovo Q drive. exe, and autorun.inf.

If those are expanded I see bcdinfo.txt,  recovery.ini, cdrivebackup.rim, and sdrivebackup.rim. Can any of these files or folders help me? I really need to know if Acronis can reinstall the recovery image that it imaged. In other words, if I used Acronis to image the recovery image, will it install the files and folders as was, or will it just install the image? Something has to be  set off to tell this image to reinstall itself, at least I think so. Has anyone ever tried this before is the question? I should have taken photo shots and saved as jpg of above instead of saving to Wordpad as I can see no way of importing this file into this post as I took it. I can recover any of these files and folders independently if I want to, so can any of these help me?

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 11,537
Message 9 of 23

Hi greg30,

it's possible that the F11 function has been corrupted, to check could you try the following please;  from a totally shut down state start the system and you should see a message stating "To interrupt normal start up........." do you see this message?

If you do see the message it should be telling you to press the blue ThinkVantage button which is at the rear left side of the keyboard.  When you press the button it should then offer you a menu with different options including F1 for BIOS, F12 for boot menu and F11 to recover system.  If when you press the blue ThinkVantage button does it offer you the F11 option?

Regarding creating recovery discs.  In Windows could  you take a look to see if you have the following or similar, (working from memory here),  hopefully similar to;  Start > Programs > Lenovo ThinkVantage (Tools / Technology) [or similar] > Create Recovery Media.

Using Acronis to clone the drive will only give you what you have; something may be missing from the boot sector if the above doesn't help.  It may be possible to repair the boot sector which could be tried if all of the above fails, but I confess to never having had to do so.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

greg30
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,524
Message 10 of 23

Hi Andy,

If you look at post 3, it will give you what I found on pressing Thinkvantage button. F11 was not one of the options.

From total shutdown to bootup while pressing F11, it enters into a normal Windows startup. Nothing is shown or no options given. Just as if I had not pressed F11.

I did a C drive search for Recovery Media, and nothing came up with Lenovo as the name. It was all Windows related.

Can you tell me if it is normal to highlight the Q drive (recovery image). right click on to open, and it shows no items found? This is what I see when I try to open this image. I am trying to find out if the image is corrupted, as  I can replace the image and try and see if it works then. I can open the Acronis saved image when I backed up my hard drive, as I included the Q drive in the partitions to save. When  I look at my other laptop, which is a T61, I can open this image and see recovery media and other startup things in it, which is missing on the X201 (Windows 7). Is this because of different OS or XP vs. 7?

I can grab any file off the XP to use on the 7 if these are the same, but I do not know. I can also put the image back on via Acronis if it is bad. I have no idea how these co mingle together or startup is my problem. Is there a boot sector that needs to go with the image or is it contained in the recovery image?  Does the F11 key actually start the boot up sequence? If I knew how this worked I can get a better handle on it, but I may try to reinstall the images taken about 6 months ago of the Q drive and put it back on, as I can't believe I cannot open this image to look at it. I have folder options checked to see hidden files. Is there any other option that needs to be checked off? Am I going in right direction?

F11 is dead and from all I have researched, this is not common issue. Only if original OS was upgraded or replaced does this happen, so all remedies I a have read are dealing with something I cannot explain. I can upload some screen shots if that would help as I do believe even though the the image shows it is at 6.1gb, I cannot open or get any files to show and this should not happen I don't think unless it is a security feature encoded in the image, yet I can open this same image in Acronis.

Has the image been corrupted since the last backup?

Thanks and let me know what you think.

I believe this OS was either reimaged by Lenovo at one time when it was sent it for repairs as there were items that were not on hard drive and some that were on, were then off. I did give them permission to do this, as I had backed it up. This was too long ago to reimage from Acronis and I don't remember the dates.

Top Kudoed Authors