Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
az3579
Paper Tape
Views: 946
Message 1 of 1

FYI: ThinkPad X1 Yoga SSD upgrade options

Hello all,

For quite a while now, I've been looking to upgrade my SSD in my X1 Yoga.  As you may know, the X1 Yoga was available with either a SATA-based SSD or a PCIe-based SSD (NVMe).  Unfortunately, information about compatibility isn't easy to come by.  In fact, I never found a concrete answer to the question I have been asking all along:  Can an X1 Yoga (i5-6200U model) ordered with a SATA-based SSD be upgraded to an NVMe drive? 

I found a lot of 'No' answers online, but with no proof of that actually being the case.  The only cases I found of people upgrading their SSDs were folks with the i7 system boards.  A few people have mentioned that Lenovo's official answer (when they asked) about the matter is that when you order it with a SATA SSD, you cannot upgrade to an NVMe drive.  

I didn't want to believe that they'd have a different part number for an i5-6200U board w/ 8 GB RAM for an SATA-based system versus an NVMe system.  The slot physically accepts an M-keyed NVMe drive, despite the SSD in there being a B+M keyed drive.  The BIOS also has a boot option for an NVMe drive.  

So, I took the plunge (and risk) and bought an NVMe drive, and am very pleased to report that it works just fine!  There was no drama.  The only thing I had to do was to change the boot option to boot from the NVMe disk instead of the built-in SATA one.  

I can't speak for the newer models, but mine (20FQ, i5-6200U w/ 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SATA originally) worked perfectly with the NVMe drive.  I am running the latest BIOS as of this writing (v1.23).  

I hope someone is able to use this information!

-BP

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors