Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
upinak
Paper Tape
Views: 439
Message 1 of 3

Failed Query TCP/IP error after Product Recovery CD

Bought Lenovo Product Recovery CD for X31 2672 from Lenovo. Worked fine on a completely wiped clean drive, sort of. I have full Recovery of Access IBM and XP Pro. However, when connecting to cable modem router i get no internet connection. I know the connection is hot as I have a R51 Thinkpad now using the net connection just fine. Won't connect to net. When I attempt to repair internet connection I get an error that reads: "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." 

XP Pro that was installed is, I believe old 2002 without SP's. I cannot connect to MS site to update.

Any ideas on how to get my restored X31 2672 to connect to the internet so I can start updating XP Pro?

I have Googled and found multiple off the beaten path suggestions, but don't want to try anything until I hear from X series users here.

Thanks for any help!

UpinAK

upinak
Paper Tape
Views: 433
Message 2 of 3

Re: Failed Query TCP/IP error after Product Recovery CD

A bit more digging and I have discovered there are yellow exclamation points and question marks in the device manager for Ethernet Controller and Network Controller along with a few more, USB, Multimedia and Video in my device manager.

I have downloaded and tried multiple Intel pro/100 drivers from the Lenovo site, all with no joy. They copy the files, I reboot and I'm back with the same situation of not having the system seeing there is an Ethernet Controller because there are no drivers.

The device manager shows the ethernet controller at PCI Bus 2, device 8 function 0, but no drivers installed.

What specific intel ethernet controller does this old X31 have anyway??

Any ideas???

Thanks!!

upinak
Paper Tape
Views: 419
Message 3 of 3

Re: Failed Query TCP/IP error after Product Recovery CD

OK... for anyone else coming along with the same issue. This is definetly a case of operator head space. Using Everest I found out the X31 uses the Intel 82801DB ICH4- Pro/100 VE Network Connection. So... downloaded the driver and installed noticed the exe file puts the drivers into C:IBMTools/Drivers/Win/XP. Then, would you believe it, I actually read the instructions that come with the driver file to right click on the device manager entry for the controller, go to the driver tab, select install from list, you point it to the aforementioned folder and bingo. I'm up and running with a net connection.

Glad I could entertain all with typical noob questions.... hoped you enjoyed my journey.

Cheers!

UpinAK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors