Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuNZ
What's DOS?
Views: 1,172
Message 1 of 7

Failed X230 SSD, and no support!

I've been on the phone to Lenovo support for the last 6 weeks, they have been absolutely unhelpful, and I don't know where to turn!

My brand new (1 month old) X230 decided to BSOD, and I couldn't boot (even in safe mode). I'm not a big techie, so after trying to boot from a USB and not getting that to work I rang support. That was at the end of October. Since then i've been told twice that a box has been sent to return the computer in (10 days apart after ringing to find out when the box was coming), then told they didn't send due to "an error in our system" (again, after I rung), then i was told that a technician would come to look at my machine, then after hearing nothing for another week, I was told that customer support would contact me to find a solution, and now i've been calling every 3-4 days, everytime told that customer support would contact me or someone would "personally take care of this issue". 

I haven't had a single piece of correspondence from a Lenovo employee in all this time. I'm ridiculously frustrated! the most expensive thing I've ever owned and its worthless after a month and the support staff are absolutely taking the piss. I spend my evenings on hold at the support centre!

I took the PC into a local shop ($100 later), and they think its a failed SSD which is the problem.

What should i do? I have no faith in Lenovo support, and I feel like I've been straight up ripped off. Am i going to have to give them more money to order another SSD? 

Has anyone else had a similar experience with support?

Thanks for reading!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,158
Message 2 of 7

Re: Failed X230 SSD, and no support!

stuNZ,

1. can you access to bios setup (in case you have win 7)? If yes, disable Secure boot and try to boot from usb stick
2. if you have Factory_Recovery media you can reset laptop to the original stage
3. do you see the screen with string about pressing thinkvantage button while laptop boots? If yes do it and you'll appear in Recovery environment
4. if previous answer is no, do you have Rescue media (you could make it using Lenovo Rescue&Recovery tool)? If yes boot laptop from that and you'll appear in Recovery environment too.

What's the model of your SSD? What do you see on BSOD (I mean error codes and short description in capital letters)?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Special. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

stuNZ
What's DOS?
Views: 1,123
Message 3 of 7

Hi, thanks for replying.

I've tried the factory recovery media, both on the PC and from an external HDD i copied the recovery partition onto earlier, but this fails each time.

The BSOD says a video driver has failed. 

I'm not sure of the model of the SSD - how can i find that out?, its 128 GB.

Today I finally recieved some correspondance from support, but all I was given was a phone number for a person in Malaysia and told to ring that! I tried all afternoon to get through, and nothing. What a surprise!. 

This is easily the worst customer service i've ever dealt with, and after choosing Lenovo for reliable machines and good reputation, i've been left a fool. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,115
Message 4 of 7

Whereas you say about video driver on BSOD why do not boot in safe mode (do you have win 7?)... Press and hold F8 after power on.
Standart OS video driver will be loaded and you'll have a chance to fix a problem.

But you say you get a BSOD even while laptop boots from external media. It sounds very strange. Nevertheless try the safe booting.

Model of disk is shown in bios setup or on POST screen while laptop boots up.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Special. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

bivanbi
Punch Card
Views: 1,036
Message 5 of 7

I bought a x230 three weeks ago with Intel 520 SSD, and the SSD failed: Win7-8 BSOD (cannot really tell what it displays because it reboots in a second), Linux says its ATA timeout and various ATA errors. Replaced the SSD, and the problem is gone. Put the Intel SSD into my old netbook (Lenovo s10-2) and the problem reappered there.

I called a local lenovo service partner, and they asked me to bring the laptop in. Will see how they live up to expectations. (I am not very optimistic, because this failure is not obvious, it took me several hours to pinpoint the problem).

Could it be that this SSD has buggy firmware? I cannot install Intel firmware upgrade because Lenovo has put its own version on it. 

stuNZ
What's DOS?
Views: 1,020
Message 6 of 7

I gave up on Lenovo support and took it into a local shop to be fixed. Turned out to be the SSD firmware and drivers, so this may be your problem bivanbi. 

Then yesterday I got a call from a local Lenovo representative telling me that my motherboard had arrived - **bleep**?! I remember being told near the beginning of this saga that they were waiting on a part (the motherboard) before the pc could be fixed. I told them to cancel it, as my local shop had identified a SSD issue and there is no way they could diagnose a broken motherboard over the phone with the two questions they asked. And now its here in NZ, shipped from god knows where for no reason. 

absolutely useless; i'm happy to have my pc up and running but i'll never be dealing with Lenovo again.

bivanbi
Punch Card
Views: 924
Message 7 of 7

i just got back my x230 (took them 8 working days to replace the ssd). I checked the serial number, they really replaced the ssd (also it has been manufactured 4 months later than the original, however, still has the same firmware version).

with the new ssd, the same problem is still there. I am pretty confident now that this has to be some kind of firmware bug.

Top Kudoed Authors