Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

271 Posts

05-31-2011

San Francisco

2743 Signins

7527 Page Views

• Views: 7527
  • Message 441 of 491

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

2011-11-10, 1:51 AM

To those who have had their screens replaced:

Is the new screen an improvement in any other way besides the ghosting? I have ghosting on my screen but it doesn't interfere with my work. I'm debating whether it would be worth losing use of my laptop for a while if I ship it out. If the screen is better in other ways, then no question I'll do it, but for the ghosting alone it is not a clear decision for me.

Options

51 Posts

10-06-2011

United States of America

55 Signins

598 Page Views

• Views: 598
  • Message 442 of 491

2011-11-10, 6:16 AM

My replacement screen is a vast improvement on the ghosting, but it does still have the issue.  The only time I've seen it though is when I look for it ... for example, if I hide the Windows 7 taskbar which I always keep visible, it will show itself then.  Very minor, and good.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say the screen is any different from before.  Still have a bit of light leak but not a major concern.  My screen that was ghosting did have two dead pixels and this new one has no dead pixels, so that's a bit of a bonus in my particular instance!  :-)

Options

6 Posts

09-16-2011

Netherlands

5 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 443 of 491

2011-12-09, 13:21 PM

Update:

My screen was replaced last week. Since then I haven't been able to make any ghosting visible (yet). I also noticed more improvements: 

1 When setting the brightness to  0, the screen now darkens and dims the backlight (or is this a driver enhancement?)

2 In the 50 Hz setting the flicker is less noticable.

Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

• Views: 10446
  • Message 444 of 491

Defective replacement IPS screen

2011-12-15, 2:42 AM

I needed to have my X220 serviced, and thinking the dust must have settled on IPS screen replacements,

decided to have my IPS screen replaced at the same time by my local authorized Lenovo service location,

given that it does exhibit some ghosting.

Unfortunately, the replacement screen is actually worse than my original screen:

1. The surface of the screen is glossy, not matte.
  2. There appears to be a letter "C" (rotated upside down) permanently marked in the screen (photo below).
  3. Although I cannot tell for sure, the screen appears to be a bit dimmer than the original screen.
  4. The service tech said the screen wasn't packed like a new part, and is probably used or at best refurbished.

Tomorrow the service location will be contacting Lenovo about the replacement screen problem.

LENOVO: What can I do to ensure that I get a proper, non-defective "premium" IPS screen?

Thank you.

UPDATE: This seems to be the same problem as described here:

WishIHadMyX220 wrote:

Ugh!

Just got my X220 back from the factory after a month and guess what?

They left the shiny screen protector on (behind the plastic) with the dot matrix lettering on the lower-left...

Is this a screwup by Lenovo on the part, or by the local tech?
Can the local tech remove the screen protector to resolve the issue?
Thanks!

John   [tips]   ThinkPad T470p:
Win8.1Pro64 | i7-7820HQ | 32GB | 512GB SSD | WQHD | AC | BT | Cam | FR
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 445 of 491

Re: Defective replacement IPS screen

2011-12-15, 23:10 PM

John,

Thanks for the pic and for bringing this to our attention and the mention of another possible occurance of this back on 9/28.  We'll look into it.

If you can pass along your service case number via PM, that might be helpful

Many thanks!

Mark

Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

• Message 446 of 491

2011-12-15, 23:52 PM
Mark_Lenovo wrote:

John,
Thanks for the pic and for bringing this to our attention and the mention of another possible occurance of this back on 9/28.  We'll look into it.
If you can pass along your service case number via PM, that might be helpful
Many thanks!
Mark

I took the machine back to the service location a few hours ago, and they opened it to examine the panel.
If there is a protective film issue then it must be inside the panel -- there's no sign of a film on the surface.
Thus this appears to be a manufacturing defect by LG.
I don't have a case number because the warranty repair is being handled by the service location.
If you like, I can ask them for it. (i've already sent you the service details I have by PM.)
They ordered another replacement screen this morning, and we're keeping our fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Apparently there IS a film that should be removed - see next post.
Options

769 Posts

08-07-2010

United States of America

1292 Signins

10446 Page Views

• Message 447 of 491

2011-12-16, 20:21 PM

2nd replacement panel just came in, and has the same problem!
See http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Replacement-X220-Screen-Glossy-instead-of-Matte/td-p/497869
This must be a film that can and should be removed, but how?!
Who can tell my local service tech what to do?
Help please! I need my X220 back!
p.s. I've looked at the panel myself, and there's no obvious way to remove any film.

UPDATE: See http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/613351-x220-new-ips-panels-4.html#post8008792
Now I have to convince my local tech, who doesn't believe it yet, to risk peeling it off.
And don't get me started on how dumb it is not to have removal advice on the film!

UPDATE2: I signed a letter my local tech wrote for me to be responsible for any damage, then hooked the protective film with my fingernail - the edges are almost impossible to see - and peeled it off, so the warranty repair could finally be completed and the machine returned to me.

Why the hell isn't there a removal sticker on the film or note packed with the panel?!

This should be in the Community Knowledgebase!

My local tech talked by phone with three people at IBM/Lenovo, and none of them knew about the film, telling him to just order yet another panel. The many people I talked to in Support and Parts were equally unknowledgeable and unhelpful.

The good news is that the new panel is much improved over the original panel, with about 80% less ghosting (now almost impossible to see), and about 80% less backlight leak (not that bad to begin with). Whereas I rated the original panel good, I rate the replacement panel as very good.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 448 of 491

2011-12-20, 4:07 AM

John,

Engineering just got back to me today with esentially the same conclusions - that this is a protective film that the supplier added to the LCD.    It can most easily be removed when the LCD is installed and while the bezel is off.

(I'm going to risk a bit of editorialization and say that perhaps we weren't aware of this change, and as a result there wasn't a change to the bill of materials to include an advisory note with each part).

Good point on a tip - thanks.

Mark

Options

13 Posts

12-13-2011

California

30 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 449 of 491

2011-12-20, 5:40 AM

I got my replacement screen last week and while the ghosting is much improved, it's still there as other's have said.  New problems though... 

1. The light bleed is worse for me, particularly on the bottom right corner and right edge

2. I have a dead pixel almost exactly in the center of the screen, so it's getting on my nerves

3. Worst part: On dark screens (easiest to see on black) I'm seeing horizontal lines that are slightly darker than the rest of the screen.  The lines are maybe 10 pixels tall (not exactly - they are not hard edged) and fade out towards the left and right edges of the screen.  There are several of them.

#2 is just bad luck.  Anyone else seeing worse light bleed or what I described in #3?  Not happy with this, at this point I want to return the laptop.  The option of the IPS screen was one of the primary reasons why I chose this model, and Lenovo in general.

Options

51 Posts

10-06-2011

United States of America

55 Signins

598 Page Views

• Views: 598
  • Message 450 of 491

2011-12-20, 16:47 PM

wrote:

I got my replacement screen last week and while the ghosting is much improved, it's still there as other's have said.  New problems though... 

1. The light bleed is worse for me, particularly on the bottom right corner and right edge

2. I have a dead pixel almost exactly in the center of the screen, so it's getting on my nerves

3. Worst part: On dark screens (easiest to see on black) I'm seeing horizontal lines that are slightly darker than the rest of the screen.  The lines are maybe 10 pixels tall (not exactly - they are not hard edged) and fade out towards the left and right edges of the screen.  There are several of them.

#2 is just bad luck.  Anyone else seeing worse light bleed or what I described in #3?  Not happy with this, at this point I want to return the laptop.  The option of the IPS screen was one of the primary reasons why I chose this model, and Lenovo in general.

I believe that the light bleed is somewhat caused by the way that the housing holds the screen.  The reason I think this is because in the case of my minor light bleed, if I press the bezel around the area at certain angles, I can reduce it substantially and can also exacerbate it (depending on angle).  Of course, nothing stays set because the moment I stop pressing, it goes back to as it was.

In my case, it's minor and really only noticed on full blank screen. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms