Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeff3yan
Punch Card
Views: 7,911
Message 321 of 475

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

My new X220 IPS has been pretty good so far although I haven't done any formal testing. As long as it doesn't appear in everyday usage it's fine with me.

One thing that I have noticed though (and I'm not sure if it's due to the ghosting) is that if I'm viewing a really dark website, then go to a light website, the light website feels slightly dimmer at first then gets brighter in a few seconds.

It's so gradual though that I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect but overall I love the screen. I use my X220 for a few hours a day for paper writing and coding sometimes during travel and couldn't be happier.

siam
Paper Tape
Views: 7,889
Message 322 of 475

Thanks for getting back to us.

This is what I am finding a bit strange/confusing about your experience; perhaps Mark can clear this up for me.

The official Lenovo position seems to be that persistence is inherent in their IPS displays (is this correct?).

If this happens to be the position, what is the purpose of getting it serviced?

Will the existing IPS display simply be replaced by another one that exhibits less image persistence?

Crmb
Punch Card
Views: 7,844
Message 323 of 475

@jeff3yan

Check in Intel Graphics control panel. There is an option for disable the "dynamic contrast" (energy saving feature) witch make dynamicaly vary the brightness/contrast of the screen. (A little annoying sometime) It's a checkbox

(My control panel is in french so i can not tell you the exact name)

Maybe that's what you are talking about

JNavas
WWAN
Views: 7,759
Message 324 of 475

Crmb wrote:

@jeff3yan

Check in Intel Graphics control panel. There is an option for disable the "dynamic contrast" (energy saving feature) witch make dynamicaly vary the brightness/contrast of the screen. (A little annoying sometime) It's a checkbox

(My control panel is in french so i can not tell you the exact name)

Maybe that's what you are talking about

Adaptive Contrast Enhancement, actually to make black look blacker, OFF by default:

John ~ ThinkPad T460p
[ Win8.1Pro64 | i5-6440HQ | 16GB | 1TB SSD | WQHD | 802.11ac | BT | Cam | FR ]
Highlighted
Former Administrator
Views: 7,631
Message 325 of 475

All,

I've wanted to share an update for several weeks but wanted to hold until I could confirm...

As you know have received feedback on this thread from customers who are concerned over persistence of image symptoms on X220 ThinkPads equipped with IPS LCDs.   We believe that there may be some variability in individual LCDs and particular usage / environment which may make this symptoms more apparent for some customers which was evidenced by the range of feedback here - some who didn't notice it, some who did but did see it as an issue, and some who saw it occur in less time then expected, and for who it was a detractor.  

In the majority of cases, we believe the previously released tip is accurate...

Since our last update, Lenovo has continued to work with our LCD supplier to address the concerns expressed by those in this thread and and version of the panel with revised spec / characteristics has been introduced.  Customers who are experiencing these persistence / ghosting symptoms will be able to contact service for replacement of the LCD once updated parts are in stock - this looks like mid to late September at this time.   These revised panels were introduced  in the production of new X220 systems during the first half of August.

I'll post a further update once the parts are confirmed in service stock later this month.   Calling service in advance won't be particularly helpful, so I appreciate your bearing with us another week or two.

Thank you all for your patience over these past months.

Best regards,

Mark

eschoon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,604
Message 326 of 475

Mark, that's great to hear. I appreciate you posting this follow up here and look forward to hearing when the new parts are available.

jeff3yan
Punch Card
Views: 7,591
Message 327 of 475

That's great news, would we be able to have the part ID of the new screen?
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 7,544
Message 328 of 475

@Mark_Lenovo, do you have a FRU number for these revised panel?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Alexo
Serial Port
Views: 7,518
Message 329 of 475

Mark,

Thank you and the rest of the team for a great job!

A couple of questions though:

1) Can you please elaborate on the different specs between the old and the new panels? Is there any technical info?

2) If I were to order a new X220 now, how can I make sure that I get the new panel?

Best regards,

Alex.

bsoft16384
Punch Card
Views: 7,410
Message 330 of 475

I'm not sure whether my X220i has the new panel. I have noticed image persistance, but it was very faint and it only happened after several hours of having the same content displayed. In my opinion the issue is negligable, at least on my laptop.

If you are debating whether to get the IPS display, don't. It is hands-down the best display you can get on an affordable laptop right now. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors