Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vinuneuro
Token Ring
Views: 2,780
Message 381 of 475

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

I know it's an unlikely, but is overall power consumption any higher/lower with the new screen?

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,661
Message 382 of 475

I believe that the backlight bleeding issue can not be fixed. It is caused by the stupid & fancy LED backlight. That's why professional monitors still rely on CCFL backlight. LED backlight technology is not able to provide acceptable level of quality yet.

As for the resolution of the image retention issue. We still haven't got any clue how to make sure we get the right unit (without disassembling it). All is about "Try & Return" approach.

Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,537
Message 383 of 475

My aging T61 is on it's last legs, and I've only stuck with it because of this thread.  I'm glad to see there is an improved panel, but I need a new laptop quickly, and I don't want an x220 with the old, arguably defective panel. 

My question is: if I buy an X220 with IPS panel in late september or early october, what are the odds I will get one of the new panels, and if I get the old one, can I get it replaced with the new on warranty? 

Thank you in advance.

ODub
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,532
Message 384 of 475

I don't know if it's going to help anyone but I had my IPS screen replaced last week (for the second time) and they replaced it with a panel built on 11/07/24... and I still have some ghosting issues with this one (as expected since it was not build after 11/08/12)...

It seems like they still have stock of older screen to use...

Right now, I just don't have time to call again tech service so that they come and change my screen for the 3rd time in 3 months!!!

ODub 

Former Administrator
Views: 2,394
Message 385 of 475

Tonedeaf,

If you purchase a new system from Lenovo it will come with the updated panels.  It is possible that stock from existing inventory could be built before August, but now we are at end of September so I think the odds are less likely.

ODub,

Can you send me a PM if you haven't already with your sytem model and serial and any case numbers?

Thanks

Mark

atomicminded
Punch Card
Views: 2,368
Message 386 of 475

Mark, I also sent you PM, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,325
Message 387 of 475

Mark,

How can I living in a developing banana country in Eastern Europe order directly from Lenovo ? If you allow us to order from the US eshop we would do it immediately Smiley Very Happy For the half price I would get the product exactly I want (english preloaded Windows and english keyboard layout).

Punch Card
Views: 2,281
Message 388 of 475

@Mark_Lenovo,

I contacted Lenovo UK Support about getting my screen replaced. They person I spoke to said that the screen cannot be replaced under warranty. I believe their recommendation was to use a screensaver or to power off the screen.

I've sent you a PM and would appreciate any assistance. Thanks!

SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 2,250
Message 389 of 475

@vinuneuro wrote:

I know it's an unlikely, but is overall power consumption any higher/lower with the new screen?

not that i've ever noticed.   can't say i've specifically tested for it though.

@Puppy wrote:

I believe that the backlight bleeding issue can not be fixed. It is caused by the stupid & fancy LED backlight. That's why professional monitors still rely on CCFL backlight. LED backlight technology is not able to provide acceptable level of quality yet.

fair point but let's not forget that the X220 isn't a professional graphics display.

given that i stare at a professional graphics display all day long (and a CCFL one at that), i have no complaints about the X220's backlight.   it can show backlight blooming under specific circumstances (high brightness and a dark background) but is not apparent under normal conditions.   every IPS/AFFS/PVA display (CCFL or LED, doesn't matter) will show some sort of backlight anomaly given the right circumstances.   nothing is perfect, including NEC and Eizo.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad P40 · 600

Highlighted
WishIHadMyX220
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,968
Message 390 of 475

Ugh!

Just got my X220 back from the factory after a month and guess what?

They left the shiny screen protector on (behind the plastic) with the dot matrix lettering on the lower-left... idiots.

And the bezel on the top isn't closed.

Lenovo is 0 for 10 on this one.  What a mistake this laptop has been.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors