Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abesmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,901
Message 21 of 475

Re: Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen

Yes.  The effect is more apparent in a grayish background than black.

atoolofperil
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,806
Message 22 of 475

Just wanted to confirm this ghosting issue on my X220 IPS. I can see the address bar of firefox pretty clearly across the top of my black desktop background after a bit of web surfing.

The reponse to the fan pulsing thread has been excellent by Lenovo, I wonder why no staff are posting here? I'm guessing it's super uncommon or else this is just what IPS panels do.

turnstyle
Punch Card
Views: 3,790
Message 23 of 475

I sent mine back for service, I'm hoping it's a bad batch and/or manufacturer.

The picture below doesn't fully capture the effect, but you can still clearly see the ghosted image of the mp3 player, as well as several horizontal and verical lines toward the top and right side remaining on the desktop. I can even sometimes see the effect lingering after a reboot. (ie, reboot, log back in, and the ghosting is still there.) It has always faded out after a few minutes, but I find it distracting.

http://www.turnstyle.com/x220/before.jpg

http://www.turnstyle.com/x220/after.jpg

Moderator edit: Image >50k converted to link, per the Community Rules.

Konni
Punch Card
Views: 3,764
Message 24 of 475

@turnstyle

How long has a window to be open to produce the ghosting?

Some seconds? Minutes?

turnstyle
Punch Card
Views: 3,761
Message 25 of 475

Not seconds -- I'd say 15 minutes is plenty (it's not as if it has to sit still with the screen on for hours).

jaykruer
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,693
Message 26 of 475

I've heard of this happening on IPS desktop displays before. I think the culprit is the manufacture. And wih LG's track record with IPS displays I have a feeling that they made the crappy panels. I think I'll keep the X220 and wait until Lenovo actually pays attention and ships with better panels. Then once that happens and I can confirm they changed the panels, I use my onsight warrenty and just get a new one. The only time I really notice is with a very bright screen and a stationary OS element on the screen for a long time. Like the application sidebar in ubuntu 11.04. It usually goes away in about 15 minutes anyway.

turnstyle
Punch Card
Views: 3,671
Message 27 of 475

Is LG the only manufacturer of X220 IPS panels?

mogunus
Punch Card
Views: 3,513
Message 28 of 475

Re: Faint Ghosting on X IPS screen

So, an update on my status, for posterity I suppose.

I've purchased two x220 laptops from Lenovo. Both of them had severe image persistence. For the first one, I was instructed to RMA and re-buy. For the second one, I tried sending it to the depot for repair, and it is still there with no ETA on when an screen may or may not be in stock. In some sense, this is a good thing: maybe whatever panel they get isn't part of a notional "bad run" of LCD's that ghost. The issue is, I'm currently out about $4,000 for a supposedly premium laptop, and it's been almost a month since I initiated my attempts to buy a new laptop from Lenovo.

Lenovo's customer service is terrible. The advice to RMA and re-buy was absurd, and sales staff configured the second laptop incorrectly twice before getting it right, they had to cancel the transaction. What kind of company doesn't immediately replace out-of-the-box failures with a product without this level of hassle?

I bought a thinkpad because I thought it WOULD NOT be a hassle. In exchange, I've gotten nearly a month of wasting hours of my time on the phone with a rotating door of "escalations" of my support calls, not to mention the loss of productivity involved in not having a laptop. I thought these were robust machines that would take a Linux install with minimal hassle and be a solid workhorse for years, backed up by an excellent warranty. That's all marketing. The attention to detail and customer service just isn't there at Lenovo. This whole experience has left me frustrated and disgusted. Maybe thinkpads used to be good, I don't know, this was my first thinkpad. I had really hoped for better.

turnstyle
Punch Card
Views: 3,794
Message 29 of 475

As for mine, ezserve received it on 06/09/2011  -- it's now 06/16/2011 and still shows repair status: "Hold for Parts - Service call is on hold until parts arrive."

mogunus
Punch Card
Views: 3,788
Message 30 of 475

Yep, that's the same status that I have. Who knows, maybe they'll get in LCDs that actually aren't defective eventually?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors