cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
needtoknow
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 7

Fan error on IBM thinkpad X60s notebook

When I switch on IBM thinkpad X60s notebook. I can hear a sound from fan like it is try to move and then stop. After awhile an error "fan error" appear on the screen. I would like to know is it related to fan problem? If yes, Do I need to change a new fan? Actually, this notebook is out of warranty. So what will it cost for fan assembly and the labour charge? I live in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. I would like to know is there any service center in Johor Bahru? Thanks for reading and reply to my post.
MarkATL
WWAN
Message 2 of 7

Re: Fan error on IBM thinkpad X60s notebook

Apa kabar?

Sounds like you will need another fan installed. If you unit is still under warranty, call your local tech support to assist. I'm not sure about your exact location in Malaysia, but I know that there are some locations in KL.

I was able to find this tech support number in Malaysia for you.

1800-88-1889 (Local number only)

+603 8315 6855 (DID)

Monday - Friday 8:30AM - 5PM

Give them a call for assistance. Best of luck.

Mark

Do NOT PM me with technical issues. Post in the forum for assistance. Thanks
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Message 3 of 7

This is quite simple to fix by yourself if it is out of warranty, just identify the part number on the fan and order a new one on ebay. There are many Thinkpad resellers in Malaysia, so you can source one for fairly reasonable price.

Here is the manual that you can follow to change the fan.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-62866.html

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
needtoknow
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your reply. MarkATL, This unit is out of warranty.I am staying in Johor Bahru. I would like to know how much does a fan cost?
Message 5 of 7

Use ebay, the price varies for a refurbished second hand unit.... but Malaysia has some of the cheapest on the ebay.

Although you can try to reoil and recondition (remove the gunks) the bearing on the fan unit, this may fix your problem.

You would need to detach the fan unit to get access to the bearings and motor. 

Regards,

Jin Li

needtoknow
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 7

Can you please tell me where is the part number located. I opened keyboard and the is no part number written on the fan unit. Is it located at the back of the fan unit? If I try to to reoil and recondition, will it last for long time? Will this problem come back again?
Message 7 of 7

it is probably located on the underneath of the fan unit, you would need to take it off. The reoiling should work, as i think that is how failure of the fan occurs, due to too much gunk that increase friction and decrease the motor (unless the motor have burnt out, which there is no easy fix for)... But it is worth a try, since the worst it can happen is that you need to replace the fan, which would have to do anyway if you don't try it.

The part number should be listed in the hardware manual (i have posted the link from which you will download)... 

give it a try and see.. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Top Kudoed Authors