Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

01-09-2021

Czech Republic

17 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 13

[ Feature Request ] Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - Petition for AMD Ryzen (and other things) !

2021-01-09, 22:11 PM

Hello,

I created my account just for this purpose.

Now I know that we just had a X1E Gen 3 released last year, however I want to spread the thought for next Gen 4 so that proper chain of people in Lenovo get this into their heads early.

So look, I don't really care if Lenovo has some meaty contracts with Intel to have their CPUs placed in their laptops. And I do appreciate the fact that Thinkpad lineup got Ryzen CPUs. However, from the chatter I read mostly on Reddit, there seems to be a persistent annoyance, where AMD laptops get cripled by unavailability of certain options/configurations. Not to mention regional unavailability of certain configurations - I literally had to use Irish Lenovo website to get an idea about the price of certain configuration which is nowhere to be found in Central Europe anyway. Example: AMD T14 without glossy 4K panel because it "... is reserved for Intel SKUs." - this kind of artificial BS limitations need to stop. For real.

Anyway, back to the few topics I wanted to raise here:

Please, convince the higher management to allow X1 Extreme to be offered with whatever is (will be) last gen Ryzen Mobile CPUs !

Those chips are getting a high praise across testers in the world, and there were cases where AMD Ryzen variant of certain laptop, I think T14(s?), obliterated particular available Intel CPU in that laptop when it comes to power consumption, general ST/MT performance, and of course, heat and temperatures.

X1 Extreme lineup would really profit from CPUs that can be used for workloads that profit from high core count, without thermal throttling which is present in current high-core Intel CPUs - though I am not sure if that is a limitation of chassis and available cooling, or Lenovo wilfully disabling undervolting of Intel CPUs.

One example is here from reputable website: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-s-ThinkPad-T14-is-also-better-with-AMD-Ryzen.504559.0.html

That being said, Ryzen and their iGPUs are good enough for light gaming as well - further enabling users to choose what they really need. A workstation laptop without enough GPU power to not need dGPU would be a God-sent from many perspectives. Tiger Lake from Intel might improve the situation, but so far articles are not pointing to any specific HW gains, only SW being more optimized for Intel CPUs.

Next thing:

Please, 16:10, 1920x1200 displays that are close to look like those from Dell XPS 15 / Precision 5550 lineup:

Of course, Thinkpad lineup was always for productivity, and not for aesthetics, and I fully agree ! Myself I have been using X1 Carbon 3 or 4, and I loved every minute working on it. However, X1 Extreme will profit from a more professionally-oriented display. There are plenty of 16:9 laptops, so why not differentiate yourself by making X1 Extreme Gen 4 a true 16:10, if only with reduced bezels ?

And it goes without saying that Gen 4 should be fully user-upgradable, just like Gen 3 is.

Alright, so that's it from me. I will think about starting the petition on change.org, if that would improve the situation, and increase the chances that Lenovo will hear the community for once.

Regards !

Options

1308 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

89 Signins

6562 Page Views

• Views: 6562
  • Message 2 of 13

Re:[ Feature Request ] Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - Petition for AMD Ryzen (and other things) !

2021-01-11, 21:59 PM

Hi AverageJoe1990,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community!

I understand that you wanted to have AMD Ryzen as an available cpu option in Thinkpad X1 Gen 4.

Also you wish to have the display 16:10, 1920x1200 available, and you wanted the upcoming Gen 4 machine to be fully user upgradeable like the Gen 3.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'll take a note of this, and will inform our head regarding this concern.

You can also provide recommendations by clicking the feedback button.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

01-09-2021

Czech Republic

17 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 3 of 13

Re:[ Feature Request ] Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - Petition for AMD Ryzen (and other things) !

2021-01-12, 1:39 AM

@ Lorenzo_Lenovo wrote:

Hi AverageJoe1990,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community!

I understand that you wanted to have AMD Ryzen as an available cpu option in Thinkpad X1 Gen 4.

Also you wish to have the display 16:10, 1920x1200 available, and you wanted the upcoming Gen 4 machine to be fully user upgradeable like the Gen 3.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I' take a note of this, and will inform our head regarding this concern.

You can also provide recommendations by clicking the feedback button.

Regards

Hello @Lorenzo_Lenovo !

Thank You ! With recent release of X1 Carbon Gen 9, I think it opens even more room for X1 Extreme Gen 4 to be based on more efficient AMD Ryzen mobile CPUs. I understand that there will be an evaluation whether such configuration would be feasible, but it would really cement X1E Gen 4 as a nice middle ground between laptops like X1 Carbon and power houses like P-series.

Options

1 Posts

02-25-2021

Korea (the Republic of)

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 4 of 13

2021-02-25, 8:14 AM

Totally agreed.

I just created my account for write this.

I'm Huge fan in Thinkpad series, especially classic thinkpad series, x1, x1 extreme series who from South Korea.

WE NEED the 16:10 ratio SCREEN & AMD Ryzen H Series mobile CPU on X1 Extreme & P1 Series

No more Intel. Please.

Options

1308 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

89 Signins

6562 Page Views

• Message 5 of 13

2021-03-02, 21:31 PM

Thank you for your comment

regards,

Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

03-15-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 13

2021-03-15, 10:49 AM

OK, just created an account to respond to this odd thread (-:

Please ignore amd requests BS - 8-core Tiger Lake 11*H (and then Alder Lake) will beat the crap out of ryzens. Somehow Intel (the mighty!) stupidly lost the PR war with AMD which uses few carefully cherry picked, irrelevant, perfectly scaling across as many cores you throw at it, benchmarks (like Cinebench - how many are 3d rendering on their laptop?!) to show its "advantage", all the synthetic benchmarks ppl use in reviews are a complete crap too.

Now, 16:10 is the most important thing for 4th gen X1E - and a high res one at least 2560x1600 or better 3840x2400 (like dell did in 13", and please, ignore ppl asking for 1920 in a 15" laptop!)

thank you

Options

1 Posts

03-15-2021

Ukraine

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 7 of 13

Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - Petition for numpad

2021-03-15, 11:00 AM

Hello.
I have been following Lenovo products for a long time.
I really like the X1 series of notebooks.
I would like to see a laptop of the format and quality of the ThinkPad X1 Extreme, only with a numpad. For example, I really need a numpad, since I work a lot with tables.
Could you inform me if such a combination of ThinkPad X1 Extreme and Numpad is possible in the future?
Thank you so much .

Options

2 Posts

03-21-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 8 of 13

2021-03-21, 4:13 AM

For Lenovo

- Keep the exterior as is, this is perfect, please NO f-ing keypads, this stuff is not used, not everybody is an accountant and this is plain UGLY to have the keyboard shifted/offset to the left, if you need a keypad to use once in 6 months buy on amazon for $5 an extender, that is better than you  always being on the left side of the laptop and mouse way to the right, and the keypad in the middle of you, keypads is last century, and idiotic thing that was forgotten to be removed when the CDROMs did

- Keep the 4k screen, do not do the 1080, fonts look plain ugly with HUGE pixels in them

- Add option to remove NVIDIA crap out of the laptop, leave just Intel UHD or new Iris Xe, they have good drivers under Linux and they CAN drive 4k screens

- Add option to NOT pay for windows, ship it with FreeDOS or some sort of Linux , pick something, people wipe them out anyway, wasted money on crap like windows

- Add MORE RAM, 64GB/128GB  would be perfect, these days a 32 is a minimum required because phones already have 16GB and laptops forgot to step into the modern days

- Increase the battery capacity, add two if you can, I've opened it up, you can push more battery, there is space, remove the NVIDIA and add battery instead

- NO NVIDIA (did I say that already ?) , if someone needs NVIDIA they will get the P line of thinkpads, and frankly F-nvidia, if I need an AI co-processor I can get that myself

- NO NVIDIA or stupid Optimus, let the intergrated UHD or Intel Xe have access and drive the 4k screen because it can, and let it have access to the HDMI / DisplayPorts directly, DO NOT un-solder that, what idiot decided to do that

- YES, add AMD option, and do not do AMD + NVIDIA 

I had many thinkpads, last was X1 Carbo, then switched to X1 Extreme Gen 1 because of physically bigger screen + 4k, I'm typing this on Gen 2 now with NVIDIA permanently disabled and Windows has been gone from my life ages ago - so I paid and have internal hardware that I never use (didn't want to pay or support nvidia but forced to) and I paid and supported Microsoft so they can keep pushing out crap like windows.

I would have preferred to hand over those money to Lenovo so you can use that for innovation.

I'm paying the needed $$$ for the laptop no questions asked and I think it is well deserved, BUT give me what I'm asking.

If you still decide to cripple the X1 Extreme by adding keypad, make it an option do not make it the only thing available

Options

2 Posts

03-21-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2021-03-21, 5:27 AM

Also, I'm OK to pay extra just make the machine fully custom without lock-in, by doing the lock-in (ex: windows, nvidia)  you never know what actually you are killing  as innovation

If any of the lenovo people actually read these forums, let some acknowledgement and bring this to the top of talks.

The only other manufacturer that does some decent machines is Dell and XPS line, but they are completely married to NVIDIA and their keyboards suck

Options

1308 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

89 Signins

6562 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2021-04-07, 21:55 PM

Kindly go to our feedback section, it's located on the right side of the support site.

From the said feedback page, you can voice out your bright ideas and comments to improve our products and services.

Take care

Best regards,

Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms