Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borgdrone7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 415
Message 1 of 5

Few issues with X1 Yoga

Hi,

Today I started driver update using Lenovo Companion and Sierra Wireless failed to install. Later on Companion cannot detect it so the new version is not applied. Screenshot is attached. Other than that, battery is very weak. My friend has dell 14" 7xxx series, it lasts for over 12 hours, and I am lucky if I get 5 hours of work. Also issue is that after I open my laptop I need to wait some time until I can enable cellular (for some time there is no cellular at all). And also automatic rotation never works, I need to rotate screen from settings. When I leave my pc open it never goes to sleep even if I close all apps and I set it to go to sleep after 10 minutes. Also sometimes I close the lid of the PC and it does not go to sleep at all. So I now always need to keep track of when it went to sleep and when not. 

I really think Lenovo should start offering premium laptops with AMD chipsets/CPUs. I had few Intel laptops and all of them have similar power issues as well as screen dimming issues no matter who makes them. Previously I used AMD ones and never had a single issue with them. 

Unbelivably how many issues for premium price we pay for these laptops. And these are just ones which come to my mind immediately, there are plenty more I cannot remember now. Anyway my main issue right now is that Sierra driver which I hope will solve Cellular not available issue at least.

Thanks in advance!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 405
Message 2 of 5

Re: Few issues with X1 Yoga

Hello and welcome,

I don't have a WWAN card in my X1Y so it isn't quite the same setup, but I get more like 8-10 hours of runtime.  So far I also haven't seen the issues you describe.  Hopefully someone else here can chime in.

If you use Task Manager to inspect running processes, is something burning CPU cycles in the background?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

borgdrone7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 402
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

Nothing is running in background. I am software engineer, and one of the things I do first with my PC is to optimize my running processes (disabling anything that might eat CPU cycles). Also I am monitoring it all the time in taskbar (minimized in tray), so that is not an issue.

Anyway thanks for trying to help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 389
Message 4 of 5

I suggest removing the old Sierra driver before installing.  Sometimes, 3rd party drivers don't do well replacing older versions.  I would look in the event log and see if a device is throwing an error when it won't sleep properly.  

People have different experiences.  Whenever I have dealt with AMD CPUs and chipsets, they overheated and died.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
borgdrone7
Fanfold Paper
Views: 380
Message 5 of 5

Regarding AMD CPUs, you were very unlucky then as AMD CPUs are in literary hundreds of millions of devices including most current gaming consoles and they never overheat nor die. Also, AMD is reglarly choice for many data centers using hundreds of thousands of CPUs working 24/7 without issues. My 7 years old AMD laptop still works and has better graphics performance and driver software than my 2016 X1. I know X1 is business laptop not meant for gaming but I find it's graphics not good enough even for business apps. Actually the worst thing about Lenovo X1 is it's Intel chipset in my opinion. 

We all know why and how Intel CPUs beat Athlon and it surely has nothing to do with heating or even technology.

I know for sure that first company that makes business laptop with AMD inside, will be my and my company's choice. I hope it will happen with ZEN unless Intel makes them "overheat" like they did with Athlon Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors