Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

07-08-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 6

Fibocom L850-GL on Ubuntu Linux

2020-07-08, 11:30 AM

Hi guys,

I'm looking for definitive confirmation from someone in the UK who has successfully got the Fibocom L850-GL WWAN card in a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen7 running in Ubuntu (Ideally 20.04).

I don't want to make the investment only to find it doesn't work, or is 'nearly there' as per the work done on the project at: https://github.com/xmm7360/xmm7360-pci

I find the notice about heavy development and no support a bit unnerving.

Has anyone had any success with the above? If so, what UK cellular network do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Options

15 Posts

07-09-2020

Germany

18 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 2 of 6

Fibocom L850-GL on Ubuntu Linux

2020-07-09, 10:10 AM
I ordered a T14 AMD with this card July, 1st and plan to install Kubuntu 20.04 as soon as it arrives! I read to late that there's trouble with linux and the fibocom L850 and came across the same unsatisfying links (stuck development a.s.o.) I can give you an update when I have received my notebook. I'm also happy about anyone that can confirm that there's a progress in between. BR Peter
Options

9 Posts

07-08-2020

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

Re:Fibocom L850-GL on Ubuntu Linux

2020-07-13, 21:47 PM

Danke, Peter. I look forward to the results!

Options

15 Posts

07-09-2020

Germany

18 Signins

130 Page Views

• Views: 130
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-07-19, 10:03 AM

Hi Andy, 

I got my T14 two days ago. 

Kubuntu 20.04 installation needed a newer kernel after reboot (no GUI otherwise). I installed a mainline Kernel 5.7.9. with modules and headers. Most of the hardware is running, battery time could be a little bit better. ~6h out of the box, no "tlp" installed.

The Fibocom Modem still is in the state mentioned on the git page you linked. I managed to build a kernel module and got "something" running - I could see a WWAN modem device in the list with an IP adrdress for telekom germany, but no easy way to get it configured via network-manager. No comfortable usage up to now. If you don't need internet access on travel a lot I'd suggest to activate the hot spot on your mobile and save the 100 bucks for the fibocom. I expected more from lenovo after such a long time of availability. I am a bit disappointed. May be it will be better with kernel 5.8 or Kubuntu 20.10...?

(Fingerprintreader isn't working at the moment, too. Still investigating...)

Fingerprintreader now is being detected and working after firmware update on the reader (run sudo fwupdmgr).

Hope I could help on your decision.

BR

Peter

Options

9 Posts

07-08-2020

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-08-01, 9:51 AM

Hi Peter,

Yes I think that's the best route, tethering. Thanks for the info. I noticed there were different firmware versions required for different network SIMs too which sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Thanks,

Andy.

Options

1 Posts

08-14-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 6 of 6

2020-08-24, 21:19 PM

Hi,

I just purchased a P14s with the fibocom L850 modem and got it to work under T-mobile. 

1) SETUP

First, make sure you have the acpi_call module installed (sudo apt-get install -y acpi-call). 

Second, you need to flip the modem from PCI to USB to be able to use it. Use xmm2usb now and every time you reboot. (NOTE that I saw several ways to keep the modem is the USB state but I want the flexibility to return to PCI if needed later).

You enable and query the modem with the modemmanager package and the commands on that page. I had to run this command FIRST before anything else on the page worked:

mmcli --enable -m 0

It did not enable immediately. I ran 'tail -f /var/log/syslog' in a separate terminal and there was a whole lot of chatter before syslog settled down and 'mmcli -m 0' worked. On my system I have to wait a few minutes every time I run this command.

Then you need to get the modem's attention with 'socat'. Stay in 'socat' and follow these commands to disable the FCC Lock. As you run each "?" command under the 'socat' prompt it will tell you the current value of that setting. Keep the transcript of all the following commands so you may reset the values to their default state if needed.

at@nvm:fix_cat_fcclock.fcclock_mode=0

at@store_nvm(fix_cat_fcclock)

AT+GTUSBMODE?

AT+GTUSBMODE=7

AT+CFUN?

AT+CFUN=15

Now you reboot.

2) DAILY USE

These following steps need to be done every time after reboot. 

• On a root terminal or with sudo run the 'xmm2usb' sctipt.
  • mmcli --enable -m 0
  • (wait a few minutes)
  • NetworkManager should create a pop-up saying a BroadBand Connection is available. You can configure it then and there OR configure the NetworkManager interface yourself.Once the interface is created it will auto-connect if you want it to. 

The thing survives hibernation and I can 'Disconnect' from the modem and connect again immediately if I don't reboot. If you 'uncheck' the Broadband connection in the NetworkManager GUI to close the connection you have to re-do the 'DAILY USE' commands to make the connection again but the modem number increments ('mmcli --enable -m 1').

__END__

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms