Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karimr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,495
Message 1 of 4

File system usage in Windows Vista Business

I got a neX61 last November with Windows Vista Business and 120 Gigs disk space. I installed MS Office 2007 Standard and Visio, over the next 2 months disk usage grew far greated than the volume of data I placed on the system. I ran all the provided checks and everything comes up good - no problems.

However I still could not account for 35 + Gigs. I downloaded a tool from the web that basically told me the tree structure and directory sizes and this showed that I should have 35 Gigs spare, i.e. if I added the directory sizes, there was a huge amount still free. I could not get to the bottom of this.

One day Outlook 2007 crashed and rebuilt itself, when it rebuilt, suddenly the space re-appeared. I subsequently ran all MS Outlook diagnostics with no significant outcome. Over the next 6 weeks the recovered file space again disappeared so now its 50Gigs I have losyt. I decided to uninstall Outlook, but so far this has not recovered my disk space. Before I resort to a hard re-install of Windoze Business Vista any tips out there?

Cheers
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 1,489
Message 2 of 4

Re: File system usage in Windows Vista Business

Did you try Vista's Disk Cleanup, including System Restore and Shadow Copy cleanup? That can clean up a lot of disk space, especially if it has never been run.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 1,486
Message 3 of 4

karimr, welcome to the forum,

it is also possible that R&R has been making backups which you were not aware of, this is not an uncommon theme in the forum. Here's a link to one of the threads.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

karimr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,481
Message 4 of 4

Andy,

Right on, you identified the exact problem, jeez, I never even knew this was set to back-up automativcally, the first back-up swallowed 25Gigs, then the next 4 subsequent ones swallowed a further 5 Gigs a time. Unfortunately I had multiple vmware images that did not help matters.

Thanks dude, I owe you a virtual beer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors