cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike6789
What's DOS?
Views: 13,215
Message 1 of 9

Fingerprint sign-in stopped working (Your credentials could not be verified)

After a Windows update, I can no longer use my finger print to sign in!

It says "Your credentials could not be verified" after the fingerprint reader goes green and says "Hello <my name>"

This is windows Hello with Microsoft live.

If I try another (wrong) finger, the reader LED will go orange and will not even say "Hello" so I know the reader is working... but something broke after an update.

I tried changing the group policy settings to allow biometric sign in, but I still get the error...

Please advise, this is annoying!!

Snakes
Paper Tape
Views: 12,796
Message 2 of 9

Re: Fingerprint sign-in stopped working (Your credentials could not be verified)

I have the exact same same issue as you. I am on a Lenovo Yoga 710-15.

I had contacted Microsoft for help on this. After they ran me through resetting my fingerprint, I still had the same issue. Microsoft then said the issue is with the device and that I shoul contact Lenovo support. However, I had already done this with Lenovo and they sent me to Microsoft.

I have to think that a Microsoft update changed something. So now this device is unable to complete the verification process.

coskun_temp
Punch Card
Views: 12,767
Message 3 of 9

Re: Fingerprint sign-in stopped working (Your credentials could not be verified)

Have you tried resetting the fingerprint data within BIOS and then re-adding your fingerprints using Windows?

mike6789
What's DOS?
Views: 12,758
Message 4 of 9

Guys,

What I ended up doing was disabling Microsoft Hello (login with local account) and then re-enable it.

Fixed the problem.

Thanks

Mike

Snakes
Paper Tape
Views: 12,718
Message 5 of 9

Mike6789, Did this allow you to sign in with your fingerprint again? 

I had removed, then re-added my fingerprint before. Even while on chat support with Microsoft. But this did not fix my problem.  I have the same old "Hello Snakes", followed by "Your credentials could not be verified."

mike6789
What's DOS?
Views: 12,705
Message 6 of 9

Snakes, I tried what you tried (removing and re-adding fingerprint), but that is not the way to fix this.

You need to disable Microsoft Hello, sign in with a local account, and then if you wish, re-enable Microsoft Hello. I'm not on the laptop now, but it's under some tab in Accounts in Settings...

Good luck!! There is a fix!!
Snakes
Paper Tape
Views: 12,698
Message 7 of 9

That indeed worked, Mr Mike! Well, mostly.

For anyone reading this, to get fingerprint sing on to work again in Windows 10, do the following:

1. Open Settings > Account > Your Info
  2. Click "Sign in using local account", or words to that affect.
  3. Follow the instructions to set up a local account if one has not been created.
  4. Restart Windows when prompted. This should also allow you to use fingerprint sign on as it did for me.

By this point you have disabled Microsoft Hello login, and are only signed in locally to your machine. Re-enable it by following the roughly same instructions as above.

However, I STILL have issues with the fingerprint scan when not locally signing in Smiley Sad

But I am fine with signing in locally Smiley Happy

dumh
Paper Tape
Views: 10,828
Message 8 of 9

I also have this issue. When signing in after startup it says 'Welcome [myname]" and then shows "Your credentials could not be verified". When waking up from sleep, the fingerprint works perfectly. I tried using a local account, resetting my fingerprints, removing the PIN and I even contacted Microsoft Support who couldn't help me. Someone can privide me some advice? Thanks!

Not2Wyz
What's DOS?
Views: 7,165
Message 9 of 9

This worked for my lenovo yoga 910! Thank you! Robot Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors