cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sagres
What's DOS?
Views: 3,100
Message 1 of 8

Fingerprint stopped working after latest Drivers and Windows updates (Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen)

Hello,

Today I updated my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th Gen with the latest drivers recommended by Lenovo Vantage program, as well as the latest Windows 10 Pro updates. 

After conducting those updates, I can no longer sign in using the Fingerprint sensor.

When I open the Device Manager to check the status of the Biometric Device driver, it shows the following message: 

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

The sign in option using the fingerprint does not even show up in the Windows settings for Sign In.

Things I have already tried:

1) Update the driver through the Device Manager 

2) Download and reinstall the fingerpring driver from the Lenovo drivers website

3) Reset fingerprint settings in the BIOS and making sure it is enabled

4) Change configuration in "gpedit.msc" -> computer configuration -> administrative templates -> windows components -> biometrics -> allow the use of biometrics and allow users to log on using biometrics set to enabled

None of the 4 attempts above solved the problem.

Can anyone please provide any solution for this case? It looks like a lot of people have been experiencing this issue and no one from Lenovo provided a clear and definitive solution. The latest drivers must have bugs and, in my opinion, Lenovo must stop distributing them until this issue is fixed.

Thank you very much.

Best.

Guru
Views: 3,085
Message 2 of 8

Re: Fingerprint stopped working after latest Drivers and Windows updates (Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen

I know you have a X1 carbon and not T570 but did you see the below post from a Lenovo employee?  Specifically the part about SGX?  It fixed my problem on my TP25.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T570-Fingerprint-stopped-to-work-after-d...

Hope this helps

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

sagres
What's DOS?
Views: 3,064
Message 3 of 8

Re: Fingerprint stopped working after latest Drivers and Windows updates (Thinkpad X1 Carbon 5th gen

Yes, I have done everything written in this thread you sent except downgrading the driver. I could not find an earlier version of the fingerprint driver in Lenovo's website (for X1 Carbon).

Thank you!

VincentM
Paper Tape
Views: 3,052
Message 4 of 8

same issue for me. Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th gen. TPM (and fingerprint sensor) not working.  Happened today after I updated to the new creators update

Windows 10 Security Centre telling me to update firmware for TPM but when following instructions there is no new firmware available.

This is incredibly annoying... Smiley Sad

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,049
Message 5 of 8

Something to try if you haven't already: in device manager, uninstall the device (not the driver) then go to the action menu or menu bar and "scan for hardware changes".

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

VincentM
Paper Tape
Views: 3,047
Message 6 of 8

I actually was just about to post. Something that 'fixed' the problem was to simply go into windows defender and dismiss the warning. It made a change and things seem to be working again..

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 2,985
Message 7 of 8

I got the warning on my X1Yoga (Gen2) after the windows update, followed all the suggested links to find out what the story was, and decided (because I didn't get a warning from a test I was told to run) that the TPM software/firmware/whatever had already been updated by a previous (BIOS 1.26?) update.

So I too just dismissed the warning in Defender and the fingerprint stuff works just fine. In fact, I never noticed that it didn't.

gorosz
Paper Tape
Views: 1,483
Message 8 of 8

Roughly 6 months before my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 2nd gen Windows 7 fingerprint sensor became unusable after system password change.

Using Lenovo Fingerprint Manager Pro I tried to enroll fingerprints assigning them to the new password. Did not work. Several scans (more times than usually required) resulted failed attempts. It acted like if the sensor would not be sensitive enough. I cleaned the surface of the sensor, checked and reinstalled driver, reset sensor data in BIOS, red forums, etc. nothing helped. Finally I gave it up, switched of the fingerprint sensor, and I used the machine without it for months.

Today, I got the idea to try it again. First it did not work.

But finally I found, if I scan my fingerprint in REVERS DIRECTION, it is working as stable as before!

Strange. Probably there is a hidden software switch, witch somehow set to wrong state. I could not find it, neither in BIOS setup, nor in OS, driver or Lenovo fingerprint manager application.

I wonder if other users may have the same experience.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors