02-03-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Flickering screen ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th generation

2020-02-03, 4:38 AM

I purchased a ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th generation laptop in November 2018. After about 9 months I began to get a flickering screen while using the Chrome browser and GIMP for graphic design. A lot of times while using GIMP the computer would completely freeze and the screen would go black and I'd have to wake the computer. I could get the problem to stop if I restarted the computer for a little bit. I contacted Lenovo customer service twice about this issue and they told me twice the driver for the graphic card needed updated. I did this and each time I got an error message from Intel stating the 'driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropraite driver from the computer manufacturer.' I went to Lenovo's site to update the drivers and it states they're updated. Now my computer is out of warranty and I still have a flickering screen, pretty much making the Lenovo experience an awful one. Don't know why I paid $1500 for a laptop to be brushed off by the manufaturer and now I have to pay a third party to fix it, or at this point throw it way and buy another and not a Lenovo. Can someone PLEASE help me with this issue? I use this computer to work from home. 

Options

294 Posts

11-26-2019

HK

125 Signins

2553 Page Views

• Views: 2553
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Flickering screen ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th generation

2020-02-03, 5:42 AM

Seems like a driver issue. Perhaps somehow you have installed the wrong driver.

1. Go to Device Manager
2. Expand the "Display adapters" section
3. Uninstall the "Intel(R) UHD Graphics XXX" driver, where "X" is the version number
4. Restart the laptop.
6. The user interface should look a bit weird to you. This is because Windows 10 by default fall back to the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and runs in lower resolution. Open the Device Manager -> Display adapters and verify "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" does exist.
7. Go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/hu/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-type-20kh-20kg/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Display%20and%20Video%20Graphics and install "Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 (Version 1709 or later) - ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Gen (Type 20KH, 20KG)"

See whether this solve your problem

Options

0 Posts

02-03-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Flickering screen ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th generation

2020-02-04, 1:24 AM
Thanks for the information. I followed your instructions. It may take a day or two for me to know if they have help. For some reason it happens randomly and may go a day or two without anything. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as everyone kept telling me to go to Intel's site. Thank you.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save