Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam107
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,965
Message 1 of 13

Function keys from F7 onward not working

My function keys from F7 forward are suddenly no longer working. I am going to guess that happened with the recent "ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup V.9.0.2.2" update. Having the function key locked or not makes no difference.

I have a ThinkPad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen.

sam107
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,930
Message 2 of 13

Re: Function keys from F7 onward not working

I figured this one out on my own. Somehow, the "Fn and function keys" device had no driver, and so I had to install the driver manually.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Something must have went wrong with the latest driver updates. I have Lenovo Vantage set to update automatically, but I may turn that off because I have found it to be very disruptive.

JRS3
Paper Tape
Views: 15,710
Message 3 of 13

I met the same problem with my X1C 4th Gen, Win 7 PRO. I checked the solution provided however it only supports Win 10.

Can anyone help to find out the patch for Win 7 PRO or the solution sharing? Thanks.

PelycoTech1
Paper Tape
Views: 15,683
Message 4 of 13

Sept 2018 - The recent HotKeys update caused this problem on my X1 Carbon laptop as well. I'm running Win 10.

Fortunately, I was able to restore my laptop to an earlier restore point and this enabled the F7-F12 function keys again. I have had this happen 2 or 3 times since I bought my laptop last year.

This bug is very annoying, especially if you use 2 monitors since F7 is the hotkey for switching displays from one monitor to the other.

Is there any hope that Lenovo will actually fix this bug in future updates?

JRS3
Paper Tape
Views: 15,645
Message 5 of 13

I search the similar issues for other Lenovo Thinkpad models in the forum. It seems that this is the same issue caused by the Lenovo PM Device driver in Device Manager. I retro the driver back to the older version. The function keys work well finally.

JasonLenovoUser
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,599
Message 6 of 13

I experienced the exact same issue with a X1 Carbon 6th Gen that's only a month old; Lenovo Vantage had also recently "updated" my drivers as well. In my particular case, checking Properties in `Device Manager / System devices / Fn and function keys` showed that no drivers were installed, so I couldn't roll back to another driver version as another post suggested. I downloaded and installed the drivers manually using the original post's Solution link, although I had to interactively login as an administrator to get it to work successfully (right-clicking and choosing `Run as Administrator` didn't work for me when logged in as a regular domain user, even after authenticating with an admin account in the UAC pop-up).

mc19
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,563
Message 7 of 13

I had this problem and fixed it awhile back. The integration package "ThinkPad Hotkey Features Integration Package Setup V.9.0.2.2"  worked ok for me a month or 2 ago  When Lenovo updated it to 9.0.2.5 the problem came back. I reverted  the fn and hotkey driver to 9.0.2.2 and the problem was gone . . . until Lenovo updated the package again to 9.0.2.5.  I have now reverted 3 times and each time "solved" the problem. I don't know how to stop the automatic updates of this package. I have x1 carbon 5th gen and win 10.

Guru
Views: 15,550
Message 8 of 13

You need to disable automatic driver updates in Lenovo Vantage.  To prevent drivers from automatically updating.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

mc19
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,541
Message 9 of 13

I do have automatic driver updates disabled in Vantage but Lenovo still keeps installing  the latest "fn and hot key" update.  

Frankaupolis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,027
Message 10 of 13

Hi,

I've just searched the interweb far and wide for I had the same problem. I have a ThinkPad T450 and I LOVE it! (Win7). I've updated, un-installed, re-installed about every Lenovo package the web said could be the source of the problem (Hotkey Intergration, Power Management, Solution Center, even graphics card driver, etc), I've used Lenovo System Update, even used the "Automatic Driver Update" on their support site, and did everything metionned here multiple times. And to no avail!.. But lucky was I to have stumbled upon the solution pertaining to my problem, so here I post: (this might not apply to everyone but it did to me) The "TPHKSVC" (On Screen Display) service (in Task Manager) was set to "stopped". I then pondered to myself "Hmmm, what is this?". So I right-clicked it, selected "Start Service" and VOILÀ!! Ta-dammm!! It set everything right in the universe, and I lived happily ever after. 8~D

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors