Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndySng83
Punch Card
Views: 20,387
Message 1 of 29

FwUpdateCmd has stopped working

Hi Lenovo, 

My organization have been facing this issue when System Update throws "FwUpdateCmd has stopped working". Luckily for us, we can just click "Close" and the Windows 10 is still operational without crashing. Why is this happening? What is the probable cause of this issue? I may not be able to go around collecting system logs of every affected user due to confidentiality and risk of disrupting their work. I will try to replicate this issue with one of the unpatched spare ThinkPads. We see X1 Carbon 5th Gen getting this.

Regards

Andy Sng

WEighmy
Paper Tape
Views: 20,244
Message 2 of 29

Re: FwUpdateCmd has stopped working

Same here
AndySng83
Punch Card
Views: 20,234
Message 3 of 29

No Lenovo representatives want to take this up?

jackmantodd
Paper Tape
Views: 20,210
Message 4 of 29

Any update on this issue? Causing major backup in laptop builds, having to load drivers 1 at a time.

AndySng83
Punch Card
Views: 20,200
Message 5 of 29

Forget Lenovo. Their complacency will cause them to lose bulk tender PO in the future. I will see to it from my side.

Back to the error message. Now, my team have tested that it happens on almost all the new models with USB-C port. Some cases, the error goes away if System Update managed to download and patch up the hardware BIOS or some kind of firmware. Otherwise, the patching will fail and this error will keep coming out whenever System Update runs.

FwUpdateCmd seems to be failing when trying to scan for the motherboard for BIOS and firmware version.

The workaround? Reboot into system BIOS and take note of the BIOS and Intel ME Firmware version number. Go to your notebook model's driver download page. Find the BIOS updates and then Firmware ones. If the version number is higher on the web page, download them manually and apply the patch. Restart machine and run System Update again. The error should not appear again.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 20,175
Message 6 of 29

I'm looking into this problem, but so far, I haven't been able to reproduce it here.  FwUpdateCmd is part of the Thunderbolt Firmware Update package.  You mentioned this problem went away after updating BIOS and ME Firmware, but can you tell me what previous versions of BIOS and ME Firmware caused this problem to happen?

Guru
Views: 20,161
Message 7 of 29

I am not saying this is your problem; yours may be different.  Mine was generating faulting errors for FWUpdateCmd in reliability monitor when I ran system update through vantage.  BUT for me I had disabled Thunderbolt in BIOS under I/O port access.  Once I enabled it my error went away.  

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

AndySng83
Punch Card
Views: 20,141
Message 8 of 29

The affected machines have updates and patches applied manually. We have no way to tell what is the previous version anymore.
I have tested with a spare unit with USB-C still on older BIOS and Firmware. The update went through without issues.
But this spare unit do not have BIOS password. We initially thought FwUpdateCmd was blocked by AppLocker. But the system logs showed no trace of that. It could be what green5178 said; Thunderbolt settings in BIOS. I will try to find another spare unit that still have thunderbolt firmware update pending and test it with disabled settings in BIOS.
Like I said, our affected users have updates and patches manually done already. Can't replicate the error again on deployed units.
AndySng83
Punch Card
Views: 19,953
Message 9 of 29

I found the fix. At least for my organization's cases.

Check this Local Group Policy @ Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > "User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation"

It should be set to "Enabled". It was previously "Disabled" for our deployed image.

MLJEJ
What's DOS?
Views: 17,968
Message 10 of 29

Any one have any other options.  All of the fixes do not work for us.  We still get the FwUpdateCmd error on Lenovo updates and Windows updates. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals