Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjackson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 596
Message 1 of 6

Getting a X220 or Lenovo in gengeral?

Hi, 

I'm considering to get an X220 stuffed with an i7, fast HD and lots of RAM. 

However, after having my W500 replaced 3times within a period of 1 year I'm not so sure if it is a good idea to get a Lenovo. 

Any links, hints or tips on the quality of the current X220? 

The only major thing I came across until now was an issue with overheating. I'm planning to use the machine for some CPU heavylifting and it seems that a lot of X220 models are overheating and scaling down the CPU MHZ. I actually read something about that this behavior is by design. Is that really the case?

I consider that the same as I would buy a Porsche that locks down at 70MPH. I don't see why a machine should scale down at 100%CPU speed. 

jakob
Paper Tape
Views: 590
Message 2 of 6

Re: Getting a X220 or Lenovo in gengeral?

Actually, you won’t be able to use any x220 (I’ve got a x220i with an i3) at its full capacity with AC power (65W adapter) only, while your battery is not attached to it (to protect it from the heat emitted by your hot cpu).

This is the one big by-design flaw Lenovo incorprated at least into this one series of laptops. With a 90w ac adapter, you won’t have any problems, but it costs extra…

You are free to think whatever you like…

The issue is discussed with other X models here

People are discussing alternative adapters here

jimls
Punch Card
Views: 555
Message 3 of 6

I have used the following: X40, X41, X60, X61, X200, X200S, T400S, and now the X220 with I7 processor, 8GB of memory, the msata SSD in the Wireless option slot and a Samsung SSD in the main drive.  Occasionally there has been a bug, but Lenovo and IBM before have fixed any bugs as they have in the case of the X220.

Below are my Windows 7 indexes.

Jim

ComponentDetailsSubscoreBase
score
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @
2.70GHz
  Determined by lowest
subscore
Memory (RAM)8.00 GB7.5
GraphicsIntel(R) HD Graphics Family6.4
Gaming graphics1696 MB Total available graphics
memory
Primary hard disk17GB Free (73GB Total)7.5
Windows 7 Home Premium
Guru
Views: 552
Message 4 of 6

I've been happy with my X220. There was that throttling bug but mine was not really affected because i dont game on it or stress the integrated GPU. In any case that's fixed now with BIOS 1.21.

And no, the CPU doesn't throttle down due to heat, unless perhaps the vents are covered and it can't exhaust the air properly. I've had it running full blast with 100% CPU on both cores for several hours at a time processing RAW DSLR images, and it didn't miss a beat.

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" HD IPS | Intel 180GB SSD | Crucial 480GB mSATA SSD | 8GB DDR3 | Intel 7260 AC |
| X260 i7-6600U | 12.5" FHD IPS | Samsung 850Pro 1TB SSD | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 8260 AC |
motomandk
Punch Card
Views: 524
Message 5 of 6

I had a Lenovo 3000N200 for 3½ happy years and replaced it with a X220.  I had one issue with a loose battery but it was solved by a technician after 1 day.

The X220 works fine for me - lot's of power, great display (non-IPS) and very long battery time (if you remember to set the powersettings properly) 10-12 hours.

As stated by others, i also dont use it for gaming, but normal officework, mail, browsing and Photoshop stuff.  At home i use the series 3 docking station with the 65W powersupply, even though i also have the 90W.  The 90W i normally bring along when i am out of the office due to the small size and i can also use/charge the X220 in the car with that power supply.

The 'bloatware' from Lenovo that is installed on the disk when you receive the computer is great.  I wouldn't drem of using anything else.  This goes for the power-management, network-management, password-management and system maintenance.  It works like it should work and i like the user interface.  Geeks/nerds will probably find better software on the internet, but the build-in stuff works for me.

The plusses:

• Long battery time
  • Low weight
  • Small size
  • Great display
  • Great keyboard
  • USB3.0
  • DisplayPort (i use for my 24" IPS monitor)
  • Lot's of processing power (good for image/picture editing)
  • Lot's of connection options  also with the Series 3 dock

And no - i have no relations to Lenovo!! Smiley Happy

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!) - and still after 6 years of service, running Win10 like a charm!
joncordova
802.11n
Views: 452
Message 6 of 6

While I don't really tax my i7 X220, I did informally test it when I first got it. So far as I can tell from reading and from observing my i7 in HWinfo64 and in Lenovo Power Manager, the throttling was never about heat.

It was about the power source. The plug and power brick are only rated to 65 Watts, but the laptop pulls a little more than 65 Watts under load, and the remaining power in the battery picks up the slack. That's why, if you try to run it plugged in with the battery removed, it underclocks itself. Not enough electricity.

The thing that is more significant is Intel Turbo Boost. I've never read a post or article complaining about it, but being that I never had the throttling issue, I had this issue to pay attention to: When running the FishIE benchmark--a fair if pedestrian graphics test--and running at "Maximum Turbo" in the settings, the image would play back smoothly for a while, then suddenly get all choppy for ten seconds, and then get back to normal again.

So far as I can tell, there hasn't been any outcry over this behavior, because Intel Turbo Boost is not meant to be engaged constantly.

For your purposes, "CPU heavy lifting," I wouldn't worry so much, even with Turbo Boost downclocking itself periodically. See, Turbo Boost only overclocks the i7 from 2.7 to 3.4GHz, a 25% boost yes, but 2.7Ghz is no slouch to begin with, and such momentary downclocking only comes after a long period of taxing the processor--if not gaming, then rendering a big video file or something like that.

If it were "GPU heavy lifting," that would be a different story; Turbo Boost doesn't just add 25% clock speed to the GPU; under Turbo Boost, the GPU actually doubles in speed, from I think 550MHz to 1100MHz.

I'd encourage you to keep reading; I haven't updated the drivers on my X220, so the problem might be fixed already.

As for general build quality, that "faint ghosting" issue with the screen should be all cleaned up in current builds of the X220, and none of other problems I've seen come up in this forum have been serious hardware issues. (Was the problem with your W500 an Nvidia issue, or the motherboard?)

Top Kudoed Authors