Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luca81
Blue Screen Again
Views: 321
Message 1 of 8

HDMI problem on X1 Carbon (6th Gen) -- works only the first time I connect

Hi community

I recently received a new X1 Carbon 6th gen laptop, and all drivers are fully up to date.

My problem is relative to the HDMI port. When I connect my laptop to a secondary monitor or a projector it works. However, when I disconnect the cable and then try to reconnect my laptop again to the same or a different monitor/projector, it does not work. The sound I usually hear when I connect the HDMI cord is not present and if i press win button+ P, windows does not see ANY secondary monitor/projector. To fix the situation I have to reboot the system or to hibernate it.

I was going crazy because I do a lot of presentations --- so I went to my IT department and they swapped my SSD to another – identical X1 Carbon, thinking that it was a hardware problem. However,  I still have the problem even with the new hardware. I am so sick of having problems with Lenovo laptops..

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 288
Message 2 of 8

Re: HDMI problem on X1 Carbon (6th Gen) -- works only the first time I connect

Windows 10?        Not detecting HDMI has been an ongoing problem with Windows 10, and there seems to no one fix for all computers.

Are you using a dock, and if so which one?

What model of monitor are you working with?

What driver version are you using?   I believe the latest driver for the Intel HD Graphics 620 is version: 26.20.100.6709

You might check the settings on your monitor OSD (On Screen Display) settings  and check if it set to Automatically Detect (not an option on all monitors), set it to HDMI. 

What happens if you press Win + Ctrl + Shift + B (resets video card) after you plug in your HDMI cable?

Best of luck,

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 275
Message 3 of 8

In addition to what's posted above, someone else noted that restarting the TB3 service will also work.

That has been the most consistent solution for me, so far.

That being said, the issue recently went away. I have no clue why it started and I have no clue why it stopped.

Oh, well.

Luca81
Blue Screen Again
Views: 273
Message 4 of 8

hello!

Thanks for your answer! coming to your questions:

-yes, windows 10!

-I am not using a dock

-about the monitor model: I am using several different monitors and projectors, and I have the same problem with all of them (laptop connects after a reboot, but doesn't connect once I disconnect the  HDMI cable)

-driver version: 25.20.100.6576 (HD graphic 620). Lenovo Vantage and Intel driver assistant are confirming these are the most up-to-date drivers.

-I will try to reset the graphic card  with that key combination next time I experience the problem.

Thanks,

Luca81
Blue Screen Again
Views: 271
Message 5 of 8

oh thanks! may I ask what I have to do to restart the TB3 service?
Shall I go to Services and then restart the "Thunderbolt(TM) Service"? is this the TB3?
Also, Right now "Thunderbolt(TM) Service" is running and the start up type is "manual". Should i change it into "Automatic"?
jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 265
Message 6 of 8

That service is it. While I did change it to automatic, I did it on the advice of someone else, and I don't really have an answer why it is necessary (or not).

For the other post, the ctrl shift win B combination restarts the GPU driver (supposedly, it does other stuff, but I don't know what and MSFT is almost mum on the topic).

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 255
Message 7 of 8

Manual means that the service will be started if needed (as it is on your system) but will not be started automatically at startup.      You can try setting the TB3 service to automatic and see if it helps, but if not I would change it back to manual, since every service running uses resources. 

There is a newer version of the Intel HD Graphics 620 available on the Intel® HD Graphics 620 driver page that has not yet been certified/released by Lenovo, but to install the Intel version you have to do some tricks to get it to install on Lenovo (or other OEM systems) because the installer exits if it sees an OEM driver installed, so I would ask your IT Department for help, and perhaps can try it on a test machine instead of your production laptop.

Best of luck,

Luca81
Blue Screen Again
Views: 195
Message 8 of 8

the issue come back again, and nothing worked. I tried the graphic card reset combination and my graphic driver are up to date.  the only thing that I could do was to reboot the system, and then the HDMI port started working again. I am speechless. do I need to reinstall window? 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors