Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

02-09-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

HELP Thinkpad X1 Yoga Touchpad and Fingerprint scanner no longer working

2021-02-09, 5:40 AM

Hey All,

I'm using a Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (20LD). After 3 years of use it's touchpad randomly decided to stop working. I've played around with the drivers quite a bit to no avail. It seems that if I install the Synaptics Ultra Nav, the touchpad becomes useless (no movement of the mouse at all). If I delete this driver then the touchpad begins to work but it's much slower and you can no longer use multi finger gestures etc without the Synaptics driver. Any one have any thoughts on how to fix this?

I've also ran into a roadblock with the fingerprint scanner. After deleting the driver under biometrics in device manager, I can no longer reinstall it. (each time I try, it doesn't return to device manager)

For both, I've tried using Lenovo Vantage, then the lenovo support automatic scanner, and finally manually updating the drivers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options

2140 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

233 Signins

10941 Page Views

• Views: 10941
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:HELP Thinkpad X1 Yoga Touchpad and Fingerprint scanner no longer working

2021-02-09, 9:51 AM

Hi hashtagsherbear,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

When devices don't show up on device manager, it's usually a good idea to reset the BIOS.

BIOS reset
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the F1 repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to the "Restart" tab
- Press "Load Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Try this and see if it reappears. If it still doesn't show and the touchpad is still in a bad condition. Try rolling back the Windows update or use a  System Restore point back to a date where the computer was working. 

Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :
- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.
- Click “Update & security”
- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.
- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”
- After some elapsed time after last update(10+ days), this option is often not available. Please continue below.

System Restore Point
- There should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"
- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  
- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.
**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"    
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

In the event none of these help solve the issue, then do a system recovery/reset of Windows:

Windows Reset/Recovery
**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms