Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Highlighted
Token Ring
0 Kudos

Hang Before Post

ThinkPad x201 8GB RAM 500GB HD Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Occassional, when I poser on the machine I will get the initial gray screen and the system just hangs. Usually, I can get around it by pressing the power button. Recently, this did not work. The system just sat there with a gray screen -- brighter at the bottom and getting darker toward the top. No matter what I tried I could not get it to shut off the screen or to start the post sequency. Finally, I pulled the battery and then put it back and was able to start the machine. Is there any type of reset button somewhere (like a desktop has) that would allow me to reset the machine without pulling the battery? Why does it occassionally hang like this? Any suggestions/information would be appreciated.
Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Hang Before Post

If you have a warranty, call support. Probably, something is failing in the POST. If you have no warranty, I would run a diagnostic on the hard drive and the memory. I would reseat both.
Token Ring
0 Kudos

Re: Hang Before Post

The unit is six months old and still under warantee.  I even bought the next business day warantee enhancement.  Unfortunatelym, although Lenove charged my credit card for the enhanced warantee they say they have no record of it.

I have run all of the diagnostics that Lenovo provides and they all report the system is fine.  But I don't think their diagnostics actually test everything.  i had a problem with the wi-fi radio -- it would not turn on.  But Lenovo's diagnostics said everything was fine -- just there wasn't a hot spot in range.  (The laptop was two feet from my wireless router which was happily connected to machines upstairs at the other end of the house.)

I am loath to open the unit up and start reseating components.  Expecially, since the unit doesn't show the first splash screen -- which means it isn't even going into post.