cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtchere
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,384
Message 1 of 27

Help: X1 Carbon 6th Gen thinks it's plugged in & charging - nothing is connected!

What's wrong with this picture?

20190103_013253786_iOS.jpg

Difficult repro steps:

1. I disconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable to the Thunderbolt 3 dock.

2. I close the lid

3. The laptop takes forever to sleep

4. When I wake it up, the laptop says it is charging in Windows, and the amber charging light is on, but nothing is plugged in.

The last time this happened I had to go to the BIOS and disable the internal battery. Yuck.

Anyone else see this or know how to resolve this without going to the bios?

blankname
Punch Card
Views: 4,322
Message 2 of 27

Re: Help: X1 Carbon 6th Gen thinks it's plugged in & charging - nothing is connected!

I have exactly the same problem, and I suspect this is related to the BIOS AC adapter warning I get on boot-up.

It seems like my laptop thinks it's constantly being charged at 15W over USB-C (whether or not I've plugged in the TB3 dock or the original charger).

This has persisted through multiple reboots and firmware updates, but it seems that I finally got rid of it by plugging the power cable into the USB-C slot with the light and quickly pulling it out.

justinchao740
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,242
Message 3 of 27

Re: Help: X1 Carbon 6th Gen thinks it's plugged in & charging - nothing is connected!

had this problem before, to fix it, restart computerand press enter to go into the bios, under config/power, disable the internal battery. the computer will shut down and you will need to plug it in to reenable the battery. plug it in and it would be norman again. IDK what this is, but this happens to me when i unplug the power cord from my dock while its plugged into my laptop.

dtchere
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 4,232
Message 4 of 27

Glad to know I'm not alone! I wish there was a way to get in touch with lenovo about this.

Ronster11
What's DOS?
Views: 4,207
Message 5 of 27

I have had the same issue with the thunderbolt dock and X1 carbon.

I contacted Lenovo who issued a replacement X1 carbon.

I have the same issue on the replacement device and am still working with lenovo.

As mentioned if you go into bios and disconnect the battery then the machine goes back into a normal state

Although the dock is still having problems disconnecting etc.

HeneryHawk
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,179
Message 6 of 27

I had this too.  I got around it (not saying fixed it because it happened more than once) by pressing the small reset button with the small hole under the laptop.  Push with a pin or something to perform the reset.  No data is lost during the reset.

Hakan_Hocaoglu
What's DOS?
Views: 3,889
Message 7 of 27

I had the same problem and solved by a hard reset. I hope it does not repeat.

Planethill
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,808
Message 8 of 27

For those searching for an answer, I just had this exact thing happen to my X1 6th Gen.  The solution is ever simpler than going through BIOS gyrations and re-boots.  You need only do a complete, "Hard Reset" by inserting a paper clip or push pin into the "super secret reset" hole.  Don't know about his special orifice?  I didnt either as it is buried deep in the virtual manual and isnt labeled on the underside of the X1.

It seems that even when completely shut down, the X1 isn't really, 100% shut down!  Since you can't pull the battery like in the old days, the only way to totally cut the power is either with the BIOS battery reset someone mentioned above, or to insert a paperclip or pin into the tiny, unlabled reset hole. Operating the tiny switch inside physically disconnects the power, allowing the X1's charging brain to reset.  As soon as I did this, the phantom charging light went off and the laptop started charging as normal.

Hope this helps a fellow frustrated X1 owner in the future!

X1-reset-button-closeup-300x200.jpg

justinchao740
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,797
Message 9 of 27

just go into the bios and disable the internal battery. after turningiton, it would be fine, works for me everytime this has happened.

Planethill
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,791
Message 10 of 27

Or skip the BIOS gyrations and reboots.  Grab a paper clip. Push. 

Simple.  Easy.  Faster.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors