Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tofu666
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,386
Message 1 of 7

Help me beat the IT team - dual monitors for an x240 and dock

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I have a work provided thinkpad x240 with a thinkpad prodock 40a1 and dual external monitors

I need to hook up the dual monitors to use as an extended screen. The IT department say it can't be done!

I have windows 7 and it looks like the pc and dock are compatible with dual monitors. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd029622

One monitor is hooked up by VGA and the other by DVI. The pc will only see a single monitor so i only get a mirrored image and cant extend the desktop.

Can anyone help establish whether an extended screen with dual external monitors is possible and if so what is the best way to hook it up?

do i need a dual dvi splitter cable for example?

Any help is much appreciated in my quest to beat the IT bods who are trying to fob me off. I've had my monitors on the desk for 6 months now and its driving me mad. this must be doable!

regards, Chris

AlphaVladim
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,381
Message 2 of 7

Re: Help me beat the IT team - dual monitors for an x240 and dock

http://www.startech.com/eu/AV/Splitters/DisplayPort/DisplayPort-to-Dual-HDMI-Multi-Monitor-Adapter-M...

Use the displayport to drive multiple monitors. A mini displayport to displayport adapter plus the splitter i linked = awesomeness. This should work just fine.

Please note i didn't test this, and the splitter makes 2 monitors work like one.

Tofu666
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,377
Message 3 of 7

great, thanks for your help.

any more suggestions welcome

cheers, Chris

AlphaVladim
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,372
Message 4 of 7

I think this can be done.
Try these configurations:
1.One monitor on Dock's VGA + one on laptop's VGA.
2.Both monitors on laptop's display port and VGA. Use a displayport to HDMI or DVI / VGA, whatever your case is.
3.One monitor on Dock's VGA + one on laptops's displayport.

I am not sure if 1 will work, as i had issues doing that on a x230. The VGA on the laptop and the VGA on the dock seem to be the same, as the connection is linked or something. But don't take my word, i am not an expert.

Hope this helps.

Tofu666
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,359
Message 5 of 7

Thanks again.

I think you are right. My understanding is that the laptop VGA out cant be used when on the dock.

will have a play with the combinations you suggest.

I'm determined to get this working!

regards, Chris

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,352
Message 6 of 7

Tofu666,

read the page you've linked above. Only internal (system) VGA port doesn't work while laptop is docked. Any other 3 ports (internal LCD including) work in any combination. So combination you've mentioned in the 1st post should work.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Tofu666
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,344
Message 7 of 7

x220forme,

thanks for your reply.

I have read and re-read the the page i linked above, which is why i dont understand how best to link up the monitors. I thought it would heklpful to post the link in case i'm missing something. The lenovo set-up poster also shows DVI or DP and VGA for dual monitors but there's no mention as to whether this is allows extension of the desktop or simply mirroring. 

I'm certainly no IT expert but I'm refusing to accept that in this day and age I can't have an extended desktop across 2 monitors.

Currently, with separate DVI and VGA cables in the dock, windows 7 is only identifying one external monitor and the laptop screen. it will mirror across all 3 but not extend.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors