Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tonno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 443
Message 1 of 2

Help needed: X240 not powering on

Hi guys

My X240 suddenly shut down and doesn't power on any more. So I've google what to do... 

What I've tried so far (without success):

• Pressing the power button for more that 60sec
  • Pressing the reset button on the back for 60sec
  • Removing the battery and tried to power on with an attached power adapter
  • Disconnecting the BIOS battery for multiple hours (over night)
  • Removing and reattaching RAM

What makes me wonder:

When I push the power button the following keys light up for half a second at the same time: FN, F1 & F4

I'm wondering if this is some kind of "debug code". Googled for it and read the manuel. Found no information.

I was using Lubuntu on my X240 for over a year without any issues. It shut down last week so I don't think it's an UEFI related bug as this bug is older and the X240 seems not to be affected. 

Do you have any idea what else I could do? (no, I don't have a warranty any more Man Sad )

Off topic:

(I'm not that lucky with Lenovos. Bought a T61p some years ago which broke due to a bug on the NVidia GPU. Using a T430s right now which runs quite well. Now I've got a broken X240. Thinking to buy a X280... Lenovo marketers tell me that Lenovos are used even at space and for military purposes. I'm not sure if I would even commute to work with a Lenovo any more. Considering my Moms noname notebooks runs without any issues for many years.

Seriously, as I've searched for a solution for my X240 problem I've got the impressions that many Lenovo users are affected by these sudden shut down problems. I'm aware that there are millions of units sold each year worldwide but I've googled for similar problems with DELL laptops and couldn't find that many reports. But that's just my subjective impression... would be happy to buy a X280 without soldered RAM modules. But that's another story)

Thanks in advance for your help
Tonno   

Tonno
Blue Screen Again
Views: 334
Message 2 of 2

Re: Help needed: X240 not powering on

After more than 2 months of coma my Lenovo suddenly powers on again. I don't get it...

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors