cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indotoonster
Paper Tape
Views: 14,425
Message 1 of 5

Help needed restoring factory state on X220!

Hi there,

I just bought a 2nd hand X220. The seller advertised it as having its recovery partition intact (when I remove the battery there is a license/COA sticker for Windows 7 Pro), unfortunately the previous owner installed a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on it (which I believe might actually be a non-genuine copy).

However, I can see the Lenovo_Recovery drive in Windows Explorer, it shows up as drive E: and has the following files (all hidden): LenovoQDrive application along with the FactoryRecovery partition containing bcdinfo.txt, cdrivebackup.wim, RECOVERY.INI and sdrivebackup.wim.

Previously when I pressed the ThinkVantage button on startup, it would show me the menu to go to BIOS setup (F1) or choose different boot device (F12), but no F11 option.

I read about the Recovery Repair Diskette, but also found a page saying that this doesn't apply to Windows 7 machines anymore, and that I should just install the latest Lenovo Rescue and Recovery. So I have now downloaded and installed Lenovo Rescue and Recovery 4.50, but now when I press the ThinkVantage button or F11 upon boot-up, it briefly says something like "launching recovery application..." but then proceeds to boot into WIndows 7...

Can someone please help me restore the factory state?

Many thanks in advance!!

Guru
Views: 14,404
Message 2 of 5

Betreff: Help needed restoring factory state on X220!

Download "Parted Magic" (--> Google) and burn on CD resp. create a bootable USB-Stick using XBOOT

After booting the stick run the partitioning tool (GParted) and set the bootflag to the recovery-partition.

If it is ok, the X220i will boot the Rescue and Recovery automatically at next startup.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
Retired Guru
Views: 14,399
Message 3 of 5

@Mornsgrans wrote:

Download "Parted Magic" (--> Google) and burn on CD resp. create a bootable USB-Stick using XBOOT

After booting the stick run the partitioning tool (GParted) and set the bootflag to the recovery-partition.

If it is ok, the X220i will boot the Rescue and Recovery automatically at next startup.

Unless something is changed on the X220 partitions, this won't help.

The only way I found when I had a problem, is the one written on this thread (message #4)

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Making-a-usb-stick-with-the-Lenovo-recovery-par...
indotoonster
Paper Tape
Views: 14,384
Message 4 of 5

Dear Mornsgrans and The_Solutor,

Many thanks for your replies I first tried the Parted Magic approach (I'm very used to Linux, it's what I use on my X61s), but that was a no go: setting the bootflag on the Lenovo recovery partition caused things not to boot (bad BOOTMGR?), and I actually have to press F11 to boot to Windows.

I tried creating a Vanilla USB 7 installation USB and replaced the boot.wim with the WinRE.wim, but booting it didn't seem to do anything.

I think the problem is that I don't have an S: nor a Q: partition. All I have is a partition called Lenovo_Recovery which actually shows up as E: in Windows Explorer (C: is the OS, D: is currently an empty NTFS partition). This E: partition contains a LenovoQDrive.exe program, and a FactoryRecovery folder which contains the following files: bcdinfo.txt, cdrivebackup.wim, RECOVERY.INI, and sdrivebackup.wim.

How do I create the required S: and Q: partitions??

Thanks in advance!

indotoonster
Paper Tape
Views: 14,355
Message 5 of 5

Re: Help needed restoring factory state on X220!

Well, after 2 full days, I finally got it all sorted out, but what a way to spend your christmas holidays!! :-)

Basically I followed the instructions from phil5 in this thread, particularly messages 3 and 6.

So here's what I did:

• Recreated the Q: partition: copied contents of the Lenovo_Recovery partition to temporary storage.
  • Reformatted entire hard disk.
  • Recreated Q: partition using GParted by placing an NTFS partition, roughly 10GB, at the end of the disk.
  • Copied all the Lenovo_Recovery files back there.
  • Created WinPE USB disk with Imagex using Win AIK (thanks to phil5's post mentioned above).
  • Booted using this disk, manually restored S: and C: partitions, again according to instructions in phil5's post.

This resulted in a working factory state. However, when I tried to restore to a factory state from this condition, it resulted in a problem on bootup (corrupt winload.exe(?)). This is likely due to the fact that my recreated Q: drive didn't have the various files required for booting (bootmgr and whatnot). I fixed the situation by repeating the last steps from phil5's post: fixboot, fixmbr.

From this state, now I *created* recovery media to USB! Unfortunately it wouldn't fit onto my 8GB USB key (initially), so...

• I create the recovery media to a 500GB USB hard disk.
  • Used GParted to resize the partition down to smallest possible size (+/- 8GB).
  • Used Clonezilla to save the disk image.
  • Used Clonezilla to restore the disk image to the 8GB USB key (which I was initially informed wouldn't fit, but turns out it does!)

End result, I am in possession of a shiny 8GB USB key with a working set of recovery media. Phew!

Thanks all, and hope this might help someone in the future. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors