Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 3 (217 Views)

Help with Replacing the X1 Yoga Keyboard to an US English Layout Keyboard

So I purchased a Lenovo X1 Yoga in Japan and I absolutely hate Japanese keyboard layouts (anyone that has used one after using a US keyboard knows what I mean - a space bar that is smaller than the enter key, poor placement of certain keys, specifically ", ', and @. There is just no logic behind any of it and honestly, there is no need. One can easily type in Japanese, just fine, with a standard US English layout keyboard.

Sorry, I guess I didn't need to state that, but perhaps it will help with SEO to ensure someone finds this page when searching for those keywords.  Anyway, I finally found the information I needed to swap this keyboard out (and throw it in the trash), even though Lenovo support in Japan basically told me it's not possible. It does seem like a huge undertaking though (as you basically have to dismantle the entire laptop to get the keyboard out). But it does seem as though the English keyboards are compatible with all X1 Yoga laptops (even my Japanese X1 Yoga).

The Lenovo customer service staff told me to get FRU PN: 00JT864 (00JT864 N KBD,US,LB,screw,CHY,Backlit), which is the US English replacement keyboard. It's also specified on the PDF document  on this page (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/PD103738 ) for the 20FR and 20FQ. Scroll half way down and you will see it. 

However, I am having trouble finding the keyboard from a seller in Asia, with the same FRU #. When searching for 00JT864, the only source I can find is in the US. However, when searching for "X1 Yoga Keyboard 20FR" several sellers come up on sites in China. The keyboard looks the same and it states it's for the X1 Yoga 20FR laptop, which is what I got. But when you look at the pictures and zoom in on the labels which have the FRU PN listed. It's not the 00JT864. It's usually either one of these two: 00PA042 & 00PA072

So I tried calling Lenovo support in the US, to see if someone could confirm these two FRU numbers are in fact, for the X1 Yoga and that they will work. Unfortunately, that guy was less helpful than the Japan Lenovo customer service person. 

So, before I spend 50$ on this keyboard, I'd like to confirm it's the right one. Anyone know how I can confirm this? These numbers are no where to be seen in that BOM spec sheet linked above, and I feel it should be, if they are compatible. So I'm a bit stuck at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For those interested to swap out this keyboard, I have provided two links below. I searched everywhere and there is literally NOTHING on Youtube explaining how to do it. All videos (the few that exists) are for the Carbon X1 not the Yoga. It's like nobody has this laptop. However, Lenovo has some great videos demonstrating how to take apart each section of the laptop. Check these:

Technical Support Videos:

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 3 (195 Views)

Re: Help with Replacing the X1 Yoga Keyboard to an US English Layout Keyboard

i am assuming this is a 1st generation X1 Yoga.  

This is the parts list:

https://download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x1yoga_frubom_20160720.pdf

There are often 3 numbers for 1 type of keyboard, which indicate 3 different manufacturers.  It is a time consuming repair.  You take things off, starting with the bottom cover.  The keyboard is the last thing you get to.

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 3 (174 Views)

Re: Help with Replacing the X1 Yoga Keyboard to an US English Layout Keyboard

Thanks Rick!

I decided to just take a chance and hope for the best. I ordered this one from aliexpress.com:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-MT-20FQ-20FR-US-Black-Backlit-keyboa...

If you look at the image of the backside of the keyboard you will see a FRU number listed. It's 00PA042. I don't know if that's for some other part on the keyboard itself or what. Anyway the keyboard looks to be the same and the item states its for the X1 20FR, which is the unit I have (correct it's version 1). I just don't understand why there is not a clear and easy to verifiable number to ensure you are getting the correct thing. 

Top kudoed Authors