Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

07-23-2018

Australia

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 1 of 2

Help with understanding Recovery USBs and BIOS License Keys

2018-07-23, 11:23 AM

Hi All,

I currently have two Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen6s that I'm looking to setup but I'm a bit unclear with the documentation online with Lenovo. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help clarify my understandings on the whole recovery process please?

I've created a recovery USB for one of them, but I'm not sure if it's usable on the second one due to the license key detection from within the BIOS.

From the FAQ found here: https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/ht103102

It doesn't seem like I can use just any Windows 10 Pro ISO in order to re-install Windows on the laptops as there may be some sort of special key binding to the recovery mediums as indicated by the notes. Hence, would I need to create a second recovery USB for that laptop specifically in order to do recovery?

Or can I re-use the current USB I have in the event of failure to recovery the other machine? Assuming that the license isn't tied to the recovery medium. 

I wouldn't think that this should be the case with Windows 10 from past experiences with OEM devices/licenses, but I'd like to make sure that I have my bases covered before I do anything too extreme with the devices.

Thanks and Regards,

AshCrow

Options

76 Posts

11-24-2007

Denver, CO

679 Signins

2671 Page Views

• Views: 2671
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Help with understanding Recovery USBs and BIOS License Keys

2018-07-24, 1:43 AM

Haven't been in your particular situation, but perhaps the following link helps.

https://devsector.wordpress.com/2014/07/19/clean-oem-windows-installation/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)