Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

57 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

297 Signins

2370 Page Views

• Views: 2370
  • Message 21 of 30

Re: Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

2018-10-30, 19:17 PM

This is interesting and scary.  I have an X240 that I've had open for updates and mods many times, and I have not seen this behavior.  I just picked it up by that corner and shook it, to be certain.

AFAIK that area contains an (optional) card reader, some ports (including VGA and mini displayport), a USB port, and--on the inside, IIRC--you're pretty close to the sockets for M.2 devices.  Do you have anything in there that you could remove to see if removal fixes the problem?  Also reasonably close to the fan/heatsink/CPU collection.

It could be a bad motherboard per se...I doubt that a fan or heatsink problem would do this without causing overheating on a regular basis.  When everything is running properly and you're showing a video, what's the typical CPU temperature on that machine?

Options

33 Posts

11-12-2012

Netherlands

119 Signins

637 Page Views

• Views: 637
  • Message 22 of 30

Re: Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

2018-10-30, 19:34 PM

here's what I did. I unscrewed the screws at the bottom and took the plastic cover off. Reconnected some connectors and put the screws back in. The problem seems solved now. Very weird.

Options

57 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

297 Signins

2370 Page Views

• Message 23 of 30

2018-10-30, 19:46 PM

Could well have been an assembly issue; since I'm into and out of mine all the time, most cables have been disconnectd and reconnected on more than one occasion--which (hopefully!) means that they're all nice and snug.

wrote:

here's what I did. I unscrewed the screws at the bottom and took the plastic cover off. Reconnected some connectors and put the screws back in. The problem seems solved now. Very weird.

Options

2 Posts

11-21-2017

Latvia

5 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 24 of 30

2018-11-21, 20:31 PM

Yea.. this is not nice.

Lifting x260 by left corner with lid open - screen glitch and complete freez.

Power off by holding button for 4 seconds - only way to recover.

Work laptop, will ask to tighten screws and connectors then.

Options

3 Posts

02-04-2018

United States of America

13 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 25 of 30

2019-03-14, 3:45 AM

I have the same issue in my X270. I will follow your advice and see if it works.

Options

1 Posts

07-09-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 26 of 30

2019-07-09, 15:42 PM

What this probably is, is a flexion of the motherboard where repetitive flexion has caused one of the ball grid array, or other solder connections to go intermittent.  It can make electrical contact most of the time, but when the board is flexed, that contact is supposed to remain rigid (the chip is on a rigid substrait), but the board itself flexes because an eccentric load is placed on the case.  The case isn't really sturdy enough to support the full weight of the laptop when held from a corner.  There is no motherboard on the right side, so holding it there doesn't really matter.  But there is on the left.  Compression (squeezing the case) holding it from the edge, and after a while, just putting your wrist in the wrong place will either BSOD the computer, black it out and cause it to reset, or give it funky lines/pixellations depending on what pin(s) are affected.  One of the resets to my G50-45 corrupted a file in my boot sequence, requiring me to "rescue" the OS.

Sooo, how to fix this mess?  Well, if you definitely know which chip is the problem, you can use a hot air or infrared bonder to heat the chip and hopefully make the solder globe re-contact the PC board.  Sometimes that flexion causes a rip in the tracing of the motherboard, and then it's basically not worth the repair (blue-wiring the PC board might result in data signal problems).

The ultimate solution is to selectively buy laptops that have a sturdy tray and case.  Unfortunately, that tends to rule out the light-weight ones.  The trays (bottoms) and cases (tops) break and the screw captives float free - especially from a lot of opening and closing the display, or moving the computer with the display open.  The other "solutions" might be to always have your computer on a more sturdy flat surface that won't flex, like a checkerboard, and then not to pick up and move the laptop from the left lower corner.  Unfortunately once it becomes symptomatic, fixing it is probably going to cost more than the computer is worth.

Options

1 Posts

10-20-2019

Malaysia

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 27 of 30

2019-10-20, 14:20 PM

I have a few X1 and X2** series. I have this problem on the X240, but never it on the X1 (1st and 6th). I am thinking that, despite being lightweight, the X1 have a bigger base being a 14" laptop, thus the weight are more evenly distributed. Not to mention the X1 feels more premium and study - with no flexes  no matter which corners I held them onto, unlike the X240.

The X220(s) that I have had never gave this problem. I think it is time to fogo the X sries and move on to the X3xx, T4xxS or the X1 Carbon series going forward.  

Options

1 Posts

03-23-2020

Indonesia

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 28 of 30

Re:Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

2020-03-23, 8:13 AM

I also have the same problem. I thought it was a software issue or a faulty in my unit alone. You see, I bought it second hand. 

Looking at this forum and see how prevalent the issue in other X2** models, I am very much convinced it is bad engineering. 

I dual-booted my X260 with Solus Linux and I got less BSOD in Linux. And I just found out  I can get it to unfreeze by banging or bending the base of the laptop. 

So, until Lenovo formally clarifies, I will tell all my friends that the Mil-Spec thing came with a do-not-pick-up-with-one-hand disclaimer. 

Options

74 Posts

02-04-2013

Czech Republic

254 Signins

1067 Page Views

• Views: 1067
  • Message 29 of 30

Re:Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

2020-05-03, 6:59 AM

What each of you guys mention (freeze/screen flickering) is simply the fact that when you grab your laptop like that the RAM stick loses connection in it's socket. This neccessarily leads to system crash. You simply have to learn how to carry your electronics properly. X240/X270 can sustain some stress but it was meant to get lighter than it's predecessors while hosting two batteries instead of one. Most of ThinkPads from that time are made out of plastic.

If you neccessarily have to carry your laptop that way (it's awful IMO because this is really not the way how to handle any expensive electronics apart some titanium laptops made for military), I recommend you to grab it in the "inner" corners. Assuming you are using your left hand, you'd slide 2nd to 5th finger under the base (placing the index finder directly under the AC port) as far as possible, so you lift up your laptop basically with a palm, securing it with your thumb.

This leads to more even distribution of pressure through the chassis and reduces flexing. I strongly recommend you to learn to carry your laptops in such a way, unless you really can't use both of your hands. In the end it's your money and your waste of time if the machine failes due to your mishandling.

Options

57 Posts

07-13-2018

United States of America

297 Signins

2370 Page Views

• Message 30 of 30

2020-05-04, 23:33 PM

At least on my X240, the 8 GB RAM is soldered to the motherboard, not socketed.  But I also don't have this particular problem.  It would be interesting to learn if all of the machines that do experience it have socketed RAM.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms