Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iceman77
Paper Tape
Views: 10,219
Message 1 of 26

Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

Not sure if anyone has this problem.

When I lift up the laptop by the bottom left hand corner (on the left of the track pad), the screens blacks out and flickers.

No way to recover except to power off.

I tried to repeat by lifting it on the right side of the pad. No issue.

Hardware problem?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
babubulala
What's DOS?
Views: 10,115
Message 2 of 26

Re: Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

Hi,

I had this problem several times as well. First time it happened was I picked up my x240 (with lid open) from the corner to the left of the trackpad, and the screen flickered and crashed. The x240 crashed the same way when I was using the x240 on my lap, while resting my left elbow to the left of the trackpad, supporting my chin reading the a document on the screen.

I think the crash happens when there's pressure to the area to the left of the trackpad. It would be great if anyone else could replicate the same problem, and hopefully somone can find a fix!

fr34k
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,029
Message 3 of 26

Re: Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

I can confirm, it's a reproductible bug for me too. It's kind of critical bug for me, I'm left hander and take the laptop from the left side is classic for me.

What Lenvoo can do about it?

I can push a online video if need.

Highlighted
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 10,018
Message 4 of 26

that should be where your hdd is. when you lift it by the left side, you are causing slight disconnection between the hdd/ssd and the laptop motherboard sata connector.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
fr34k
Blue Screen Again
Views: 10,018
Message 5 of 26

Thx,

Good to know, I will open it and do some check without the hdd.

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 10,017
Message 6 of 26

@lead_org wrote:
when you lift it by the left side, you are causing slight disconnection between the hdd/ssd and the laptop motherboard sata connector.

So it is not about temporary display issue but possible data corruption ?

Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 9,986
Message 7 of 26

@puppy, these SATA drives are not hot swappable, you can test this behaviour by running benchmark on your hdd, and then quickly remove your hdd whilst it is running a benchmark. See what happens.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,941
Message 8 of 26

Does Lenovo agree this is serious design issue of a (still ?) business laptop ? Recall ...

Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,932
Message 9 of 26

I've to contact the support, to know what they think about this bug.

Since I've a spot on the ips screen too (already on the screen when I get the laptop), I should contact them when I get some spare time.

But since Lenovo don't care about customer, I pretty sure they are not going to fix it.

I'm really disappointed by Lenovo.

Product quality is dropping, and pretty obvious lack of hardware test. The product description "Ultradurable Construction & MIL-SPEC Tested" make me lol.

I hope they are going to change that...

They're a way to contact support by email?

zca4
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,591
Message 10 of 26

I have this problem as well and I'm wondering if anyone has any updates to their situation?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors