cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AM-S
Punch Card
Views: 476
Message 21 of 26

Re: Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

This is interesting and scary.  I have an X240 that I've had open for updates and mods many times, and I have not seen this behavior.  I just picked it up by that corner and shook it, to be certain.

AFAIK that area contains an (optional) card reader, some ports (including VGA and mini displayport), a USB port, and--on the inside, IIRC--you're pretty close to the sockets for M.2 devices.  Do you have anything in there that you could remove to see if removal fixes the problem?  Also reasonably close to the fan/heatsink/CPU collection.

It could be a bad motherboard per se...I doubt that a fan or heatsink problem would do this without causing overheating on a regular basis.  When everything is running properly and you're showing a video, what's the typical CPU temperature on that machine?

timpel_800
Punch Card
Views: 471
Message 22 of 26

Re: Holding X240 by bottom left hand corner causes screen to black out and flicker

here's what I did. I unscrewed the screws at the bottom and took the plastic cover off. Reconnected some connectors and put the screws back in. The problem seems solved now. Very weird.

AM-S
Punch Card
Views: 467
Message 23 of 26

Could well have been an assembly issue; since I'm into and out of mine all the time, most cables have been disconnectd and reconnected on more than one occasion--which (hopefully!) means that they're all nice and snug.

@timpel_800 wrote:

here's what I did. I unscrewed the screws at the bottom and took the plastic cover off. Reconnected some connectors and put the screws back in. The problem seems solved now. Very weird.

anonimus_riga
What's DOS?
Views: 405
Message 24 of 26

Yea.. this is not nice.

Lifting x260 by left corner with lid open - screen glitch and complete freez.

Power off by holding button for 4 seconds - only way to recover.

Work laptop, will ask to tighten screws and connectors then.

Aguilapab
Fanfold Paper
Views: 211
Message 25 of 26

I have the same issue in my X270. I will follow your advice and see if it works.

smakky
Paper Tape
Views: 36
Message 26 of 26

What this probably is, is a flexion of the motherboard where repetitive flexion has caused one of the ball grid array, or other solder connections to go intermittent.  It can make electrical contact most of the time, but when the board is flexed, that contact is supposed to remain rigid (the chip is on a rigid substrait), but the board itself flexes because an eccentric load is placed on the case.  The case isn't really sturdy enough to support the full weight of the laptop when held from a corner.  There is no motherboard on the right side, so holding it there doesn't really matter.  But there is on the left.  Compression (squeezing the case) holding it from the edge, and after a while, just putting your wrist in the wrong place will either BSOD the computer, black it out and cause it to reset, or give it funky lines/pixellations depending on what pin(s) are affected.  One of the resets to my G50-45 corrupted a file in my boot sequence, requiring me to "rescue" the OS.

Sooo, how to fix this mess?  Well, if you definitely know which chip is the problem, you can use a hot air or infrared bonder to heat the chip and hopefully make the solder globe re-contact the PC board.  Sometimes that flexion causes a rip in the tracing of the motherboard, and then it's basically not worth the repair (blue-wiring the PC board might result in data signal problems).

The ultimate solution is to selectively buy laptops that have a sturdy tray and case.  Unfortunately, that tends to rule out the light-weight ones.  The trays (bottoms) and cases (tops) break and the screw captives float free - especially from a lot of opening and closing the display, or moving the computer with the display open.  The other "solutions" might be to always have your computer on a more sturdy flat surface that won't flex, like a checkerboard, and then not to pick up and move the laptop from the left lower corner.  Unfortunately once it becomes symptomatic, fixing it is probably going to cost more than the computer is worth.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors